Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default #VALUE! ERROR

I have a vlookup in a number of cells that is activated once another cell has
a value entered into it. The vlookup works just fine. #VALUE! diplays in the
cell until the data entry is entered. Is there a way to make the cell blank
until the data is entered? Here is my current formula

=VLOOKUP(VALUE(M4),$U$13:$V$16,2,FALSE)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If M4 is an *empty* cell VALUE(M4) evaluates to 0.

If M4 contains a formula that might return text that is not converted by
VALUE (like a formula blank "") then VALUE(M4) evalutes to #VALUE!.

A generic error trap that traps *all* errors:

=IF(ISERROR(VLOOKUP(VALUE(M4),$U$13:$V$16,2,0)),"" ,VLOOKUP(VALUE(M4),$U$13:$V$16,2,0))

You might be able to concentrate it on just M4:

=IF(ISERROR(VALUE(M4)),"",VLOOKUP(VALUE(M4),$U$13: $V$16,2,0))

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP