Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Visual Basic Error Run Time Error, Type Mismatch

Hello - I am receiving a Run-time error '13' Type mismatch for the code that
I have. After reading the help section of microsoft, I am still lost! The
code I am using is listed below. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!
Thanks!

If Target = Range("D3") Then
Columns("E:N").Hidden = False
Select Case Target
Case Is = 1
Columns("N").Hidden = True
Case Is = 2
Columns("M:N").Hidden = True
Case Is = 3
Columns("L:N").Hidden = True
Case Is = 4
Columns("K:N").Hidden = True
Case Is = 5
Columns("J:N").Hidden = True
Case Is = 6
Columns("I:N").Hidden = True
Case Is = 7
Columns("H:N").Hidden = True
Case Is = 8
Columns("G:N").Hidden = True
Case Is = 9
Columns("F:N").Hidden = True
Case Is = 10
Columns("E:N").Hidden = True
For Each wSheet In Worksheets
wSheet.Protect Password:="Secret", _
UserInterFaceOnly:=True
Next wSheet
End Select

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Maybe...

Option Explicit

Dim wSheet As Worksheet

If Target.Cells.Count 1 Then
Exit Sub
End If

If Intersect(Target, Me.Range("D3")) Is Nothing Then
Exit Sub
End If

Me.Unprotect Password:="Secret"

Me.Columns("E:N").Hidden = False

Select Case Target
Case Is = 1: Me.Columns("N").Hidden = True
Case Is = 2: Me.Columns("M:N").Hidden = True
Case Is = 3: Me.Columns("L:N").Hidden = True
Case Is = 4: Me.Columns("K:N").Hidden = True
Case Is = 5: Me.Columns("J:N").Hidden = True
Case Is = 6: Me.Columns("I:N").Hidden = True
Case Is = 7: Me.Columns("H:N").Hidden = True
Case Is = 8: Me.Columns("G:N").Hidden = True
Case Is = 9: Me.Columns("F:N").Hidden = True
Case Is = 10: Me.Columns("E:N").Hidden = True
End Select

For Each wSheet In Worksheets
wSheet.Protect Password:="Secret", _
UserInterFaceOnly:=True
Next wSheet

End Sub

Meg Partridge wrote:

[...]

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You have a couple of potential problems...
This line
If Target = Range("D3") Then
is the same as
If Target.Value = Range("D3").Value Then
You probably wanted
If Target.address "$D$3" Then

Your lastcase is the only one that does a protection and even though you
have userinterface set to true there will still be some things that macros
will not be able to do.

There is nothing in there that will necessarily generate a type mismatch...
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Meg Partridge" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You missed the equal sign in your Target.Address test. Also, since only the
active sheet is being unprotected at the beginning of the routine, then I
would think that should be the only one being re-protected again inside this
routine. In addition to that, I noticed a mathematical relationship in the
Columns ranges versus the content of D3 that allows the entire Select Case
block to be replaced with a single line of code. Here is the routine after
the above are incorporated into it...

Dim wSheet As Worksheet
If Target.Cells.Count = 1 And Target.Address = "$D$3" Then
Me.Unprotect Password:="Secret"
Me.Columns("E:N").Hidden = False
Me.Columns(Chr(79 - Target.Value) & ":N").Hidden = True
Me.Protect Password:="Secret", UserInterFaceOnly:=True

This should do what the OP's original code was trying to do.

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"Meg Partridge" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I'm confused as to why you are unprotecting the active sheet, but then
re-protecting all the sheets in the workbook at the end of the routine.
Wouldn't you only need to re-protect the single sheet you unprotected at the
beginning of the routine? In the code below, I used a slightly different
Target validation routine than Dave did, and only re-protected the one sheet
you unprotected rather than all the sheets in the workbook, plus I implement
a mathematical equivalent to your entire Select Case block to produce this
routine (which should do what I think your original code was intended to
do)...

Meg Partridge wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I tried this & now I get a different error ... Run-time error '1004',
Application-defined or object-defined error.

The reason I had to add that specific password protection is so columns will
be hidden based the choice in the drop down box.

The only thing that should be unprotected are specific columns depending on
a user's choice with a drop down box. There is a limited number of cells
that a user can input into.

"Meg Partridge" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I do not get any errors when I run the code, so I'm not sure what to tell
you about that... the posted code runs fine for me.. not errors. I did
notice that I forgot to place a limit on the entry in D3 that the code
reacts to (unlike the Select Case block, the calculation replacing the it
will happily calculate a value for any number entered in D3); the code below
places the appropriate range trapping in the code.

Dim wSheet As Worksheet
If Target.Cells.Count = 1 And Target.Address = "$D$3" Then
If Range("D3").Value = 1 And Range("D3").Value <= 10 Then
Me.Unprotect Password:="Secret"
Me.Columns("E:N").Hidden = False
Me.Columns(Chr(79 - Target.Value) & ":N").Hidden = True
Me.Protect Password:="Secret", UserInterFaceOnly:=True

With respect to the Protect/Unprotect issue I raised... I was referring to
this part from your original code...

For Each wSheet In Worksheets
wSheet.Protect Password:="Secret", UserInterFaceOnly:=True
Next wSheet

This code snippet runs through *each* sheet in the workbook and turns on the
protection. My point was that you did not have to iterate through *every*
sheet in the workbook because the running code only unprotected the active
sheet... the other sheets remained protected, so there is no need to loop
through them turning on the protection that is already on.

--

"Meg Partridge" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I think you are right ... I forgot I have another macro that I created ... I
get the error Run-time error '1004', Application-defined or object-defined
error and when I click on the debugger it goes to the macro below. It is a
simple recorded macro so I am not sure why I get this error.

Sub Macro1()
Range("D3").Select
ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "=SUM(R[3]C[1]:R[3]C[10])"
Range("D4").Select
End Sub

"Meg Partridge" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

My guess would be that you have the macro installed in the code window of
one of your worksheets, but that you have a different worksheet active when
you try to run it. Either quality all your Range statements with the
worksheet they should apply to, for one example...

Worksheets("Sheet2").Range("D4").Select

or move the macro to a Module (Insert/Module from the VB editor's menu bar)
where it will be available for use on any worksheet. As an aside, it is
almost never required to select a range in order to do something with it.
These two statements...

Range("D3").Select
ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "=SUM(R[3]C[1]:R[3]C[10])"

can be replaced by this one...

Range("D3").FormulaR1C1 = "=SUM(R[3]C[1]:R[3]C[10])"