Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default fill in text from another cell

I am working on an inventory of equipment, and have a dropdown for the make
of equipment, and would like to have the model cell populate with the model
number of the peice of equipment automaticly, i.e. if the make is "chair"
then the model is "P1234". all the "makes" have only one model number to
them, i have 5 differant makes so only 5 differant models. any help would be
great.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Assumption:
1. You have make dropdown in A1 and you want the model in B1 of Sheet1.
2. You have 'make' in A1-A5 of sheet2 and 'model' in B1-B5
Enter this in B1 of Sheet1
=IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!A:B,2,False),"",VLOOKUP (A1,Sheet2!A:B,2,False))