Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Hidden rows in worksheet also hide borders

I have an excel worksheet were some cells are merged with cells in other
rows, and other cells are not merged. Specifically, the cells with titles
are merged over multiple rows, while the cells with data are not merged.
Title X covers three rows: 2,3,&4. Title Y covers two rows, 5&6. When i
apply a filter and only rows 3 & 6 are visible, the borders are not showing
up between title X & title Y.

Is there a way to force the border between title X & Y to stay even when
rows are hidden? Thank you in advance, I hope that my explanation isn't too
confusing!

--
Gavelle
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

When you setup the autofilter, don't include the column that has your titles.
That way Excel won't think you're wanting to hide them when you apply your
filter.
--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"Gavelle" wrote:

I have an excel worksheet were some cells are merged with cells in other
rows, and other cells are not merged. Specifically, the cells with titles
are merged over multiple rows, while the cells with data are not merged.
Title X covers three rows: 2,3,&4. Title Y covers two rows, 5&6. When i
apply a filter and only rows 3 & 6 are visible, the borders are not showing
up between title X & title Y.

Is there a way to force the border between title X & Y to stay even when
rows are hidden? Thank you in advance, I hope that my explanation isn't too
confusing!

--
Gavelle

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I used the advanced filter, but i'm still missing the border between the
hidden rows for the title. The border still appears as it did before for all
the other cells that aren't merged in each row.

Do you have any other ideas? I'd love to figure something out to make this
work :-)

--
Gavelle
Having fun with Access!

"Gavelle" wrote:

I have an excel worksheet were some cells are merged with cells in other
rows, and other cells are not merged. Specifically, the cells with titles
are merged over multiple rows, while the cells with data are not merged.
Title X covers three rows: 2,3,&4. Title Y covers two rows, 5&6. When i
apply a filter and only rows 3 & 6 are visible, the borders are not showing
up between title X & title Y.

Is there a way to force the border between title X & Y to stay even when
rows are hidden? Thank you in advance, I hope that my explanation isn't too
confusing!

--
Gavelle

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

I recommend making all the titles merges of the same number of cell - when a
title uses only 2 cells for merging, increase it to 3 cell. Or putting the
titles into one cell (row) and wrapping the text.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"Gavelle" wrote:

I have an excel worksheet were some cells are merged with cells in other
rows, and other cells are not merged. Specifically, the cells with titles
are merged over multiple rows, while the cells with data are not merged.
Title X covers three rows: 2,3,&4. Title Y covers two rows, 5&6. When i
apply a filter and only rows 3 & 6 are visible, the borders are not showing
up between title X & title Y.

Is there a way to force the border between title X & Y to stay even when
rows are hidden? Thank you in advance, I hope that my explanation isn't too
confusing!

--
Gavelle

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I think i'm not explaining myself well. Here is an example, but i have
approximately 100 Item #'s and multiple columns of data.

Item # Sub Desc Title Desc January February March Action?
1 Subject A Title 1 152 155 112 Yes
Title 2 17 12 19 No
Title 3 256 335 337 No
2 Subject B Title 1 3.5 3.5 3.7 No
Title 2 4.5 4 4.2 Yes
Title 3 4 4.1 3.2 No
4 Subject C Title 1 35 36 37 No
5 Subject D Title 1 553 552 500 Yes

My "item #" and "subject" cells are merged to cover multiple lines if there
is more than 1 title. Each "item" has a border around it as well as
individual borders around each data point. It looks great until i filter for
Action = "Yes". Once i filter, the border remains around the title and each
of the data points but disappears between the item & subjects because those
cells are merged. For items 4 & 5, since they are only 1 row the border is
fine.

I'm wondering if there is any way to keep the border even if some of the
rows from item number 1 & 2 are hidden. My guess is that since parts of the
row are hidden i'm out of luck, but i know that you are all way smarter than
i am!

--
Gavelle
Having fun with Access!

"Gavelle" wrote:

I have an excel worksheet were some cells are merged with cells in other
rows, and other cells are not merged. Specifically, the cells with titles
are merged over multiple rows, while the cells with data are not merged.
Title X covers three rows: 2,3,&4. Title Y covers two rows, 5&6. When i
apply a filter and only rows 3 & 6 are visible, the borders are not showing
up between title X & title Y.

Is there a way to force the border between title X & Y to stay even when
rows are hidden? Thank you in advance, I hope that my explanation isn't too
confusing!

--
Gavelle

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Based on your example, is there a specific reason you're using an Advanced
filter instead of an AutoFilter? I only ask because I was able to get a
solution using the AutoFilter already.
--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"Gavelle" wrote:

I have an excel worksheet were some cells are merged with cells in other
rows, and other cells are not merged. Specifically, the cells with titles
are merged over multiple rows, while the cells with data are not merged.
Title X covers three rows: 2,3,&4. Title Y covers two rows, 5&6. When i
apply a filter and only rows 3 & 6 are visible, the borders are not showing
up between title X & title Y.

Is there a way to force the border between title X & Y to stay even when
rows are hidden? Thank you in advance, I hope that my explanation isn't too
confusing!

--
Gavelle

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I was using Autofilter initially and that's when we first noticed the missing
borders.

--
Gavelle
Having fun with Access!