Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Changing Font Size Doesn't Allow More Text to Fit in Cell

I'm starting a journal using excel and the 10+ Journaling format I learned
about on the web (ie: one page is for todays date, the workbook contains
sheets for each day of the month. Each worksheet has room for 10 years...
Ultimately, the full page will contain entries for Todays date - Dec 4
2008-2018, and there will be one page for each day of the year).

Anyway... I created one worksheet, and copied it 31 times to create a
Master, which I will use for each new month.

I merged 4 rows per year/block (merged several columns as well).

The problem is that on some pages, I can type 4 lines of text, but most
pages will only accept 3 lines of text.

Changing the size of the font does not change how much text I can put in the
merged cell, I still get the ###### error, no matter how small I make the
font.

I can't use "Shrink to Fit" in the format option, it's greyed out.

I'd prefer to use a consistent font on the entire page, rather than
switching to a smaller font occassionally. So far, I've just been editing my
content to make it fit, but sometimes a few more words would be nice.

Any suggestions or help?
I can't imagine why changing the size of the font doesn't fix the problem.

Sorry so long,

TIA

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You have two problems.

1. Excel has difficulty with cells that contain between 255 and 1024
characters when the cell is formatted as Text and will show ######

Change to formatting of General to eliminate that.

2. Wrap text works on merged cells...........unfortunately row Autofit does
not function with merged cells.

You need worksheet event code to achieve that.

Also note that merging cells not allow you to enter more text. The merged
cells create one larger single cell with the limitations of any single cell.

Merged cells cause no end of problems and should be avoided like the plague.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 4 Dec 2008 10:33:03 -0800, NicoleS
wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I did. That's one thing I thought was funny, that it won't wrap to the 4th
line (even if the text is very small & there's room for it.)
I don't see anything formatting differences from one page to another.

Is there a way I could post a sample of what's happening?