Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Combining and merging duplicate data.

I have a list of two columns consisting of part number and quantity, some of
the lines contain duplicate part numbers.

Example

Part Number Qty
311 10
311 5
312 20
313 5
313 5

Is there any way I can merge the duplicate part numbers into one line whilst
combining the quantites to read as follows?

Part Number Qty
311 15
312 20
313 10

Have a very large database to work through and this would make my life a lot
easier :0)
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Darren,

A couple of steps.

1. Create your unique list of parts.
Select your parts list, the top row must be a header, then
Data|Filter|Advanced filter
Select copy to another location
Check unique items only
Enter a location to copy to (a single cell) I'm going to use D1
Click OK and you should now have a list of unique items.

2. This in E1 and drag down to get your totals
=SUMIF($A$1:$A$5,D1,$B$1:$B$5)

Mike

"Darren" wrote:

I have a list of two columns consisting of part number and quantity, some of
the lines contain duplicate part numbers.

Example

Part Number Qty
311 10
311 5
312 20
313 5
313 5

Is there any way I can merge the duplicate part numbers into one line whilst
combining the quantites to read as follows?

Part Number Qty
311 15
312 20
313 10

Have a very large database to work through and this would make my life a lot
easier :0)

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Cheers for the advice Mike,

I'm not too hot with using excel but whenever I try to use the advanced
filter option it doesn't seem to work.

I highlight the columns and go through the advance filter options but end up
with the same list again minus the first row under the headers. Bit stuck at
the moment.