Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Removing ' from a lotus file

How do you remove the ' , ^ or " that are used to right, left, or center
text. I know if you type the text or number over itself it does, but I need
a quicker way to do it. I've tried coping 1 and then paste special multiply
for numbers but that doesn't work neither does changing the format for
numbers to number. Any quick way of doing it?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

It's been so long since I've seen these remind me - when they come into an
Excel file are the ^ and " visible in the sheet, I know that the ' is not, it
only shows on the Formula Bar.

If the other two are visible, you can use replace to remove them - press
Ctrl+H enter ^ in the Find what box and leave the Replace with box empty,
click Replace All.

Text or number in Excel with ' at the beginning don't cause problems. If
there are numbers with ' they are treated as text, if that is not what you
want you can convert them as follows:
1. Select an empty cell and choose Copy
2. Select all the cells you want to convert (selecting text entries or
numbers or dates won't hurt)
3. Choose Edit, Paste Special, Add.
Dates may need to be reformatted.

Cheers,