Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ken Ken is offline

Default how do have 2 conditional formats for one cell

I want to change the font colour of a cell to Blue if another cell has a
certain value such as Y and if another cell has a value of 1 I want the
background of that cell to go blue. What I am finding is if I have 2
conditions for this one cell the first one overides the second condition ie
if the font goes red because it satisfies the 1st condition it then won't
change the cell to blue if the second condition is satisfied is there anyway
I can make that happen.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 13:33:01 -0800, Ken wrote:

I want to change the font colour of a cell to Blue if another cell has a
certain value such as Y and if another cell has a value of 1 I want the
background of that cell to go blue. What I am finding is if I have 2
conditions for this one cell the first one overides the second condition ie
if the font goes red because it satisfies the 1st condition it then won't
change the cell to blue if the second condition is satisfied is there anyway
I can make that happen.

You have to list your rules in the proper order.

So, given

B1: Might have a "Y"
B2: Might have a 1

Rule 1 (applying to any cell you wish:

=AND(B1="Y",B2=1)
format red font with blue fill

then, if that fails, it will look at rule 2

=B1="Y"
format red font with "no color" fill
--ron
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

Although I'm not sure, it sounds like you may need three rule, two of which
you already have:

=AND(B3=1,C3="Y") Red Font, Blue Background
=B3=1 Blue Background
=C3="Y" Red Font

The order of the last two don't matter by the first rule must be first in
this case as was stated in the last post.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire