Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default is there any way to have more than 3 conditional formats per cell

I'm trying to use conditional formatting in Excel but am limited to only 3.
Has anyone found a way around this?? I have 4 letters with different
background colors that I'm using and rather than copy and pasting I'm trying
to use a cell pull down but end up having to manually copy and paste one due
to the fact I'm using a default clear cell as a starting point.

Thanks, Greg
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The only way I've found around the 3-condition limit is to write a custom VBA
macro to detect when a change in the cell(s) takes place, evaluate the new
value and set the format accordingly. You can have virtually unlimited
conditions using this method.

"Greg L" wrote:

I'm trying to use conditional formatting in Excel but am limited to only 3.
Has anyone found a way around this?? I have 4 letters with different
background colors that I'm using and rather than copy and pasting I'm trying
to use a cell pull down but end up having to manually copy and paste one due
to the fact I'm using a default clear cell as a starting point.

Thanks, Greg

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You might find this a little more 'enlightening' - it is a .pdf document that
provides a kind of template or example of what I was talking about, if you
wish to explore the possibility some more.
Long link - might get broken up:
http://www.jlathamsite.com/teach/Ext...fExcel2003.pdf

"Greg L" wrote:

Thank you for the help.

"Greg L" wrote:

I'm trying to use conditional formatting in Excel but am limited to only 3.
Has anyone found a way around this?? I have 4 letters with different
background colors that I'm using and rather than copy and pasting I'm trying
to use a cell pull down but end up having to manually copy and paste one due
to the fact I'm using a default clear cell as a starting point.

Thanks, Greg

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

XL 07 allows you to apply more than 3 conditional formats.
--
Brevity is the soul of wit.

"JLatham" wrote:

You might find this a little more 'enlightening' - it is a .pdf document that
provides a kind of template or example of what I was talking about, if you
wish to explore the possibility some more.
Long link - might get broken up:
http://www.jlathamsite.com/teach/Ext...fExcel2003.pdf

"Greg L" wrote:

Thank you for the help.

"Greg L" wrote:

I'm trying to use conditional formatting in Excel but am limited to only 3.
Has anyone found a way around this?? I have 4 letters with different
background colors that I'm using and rather than copy and pasting I'm trying
to use a cell pull down but end up having to manually copy and paste one due
to the fact I'm using a default clear cell as a starting point.

Thanks, Greg

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Do you mean "more than 3 formats" or "more than three logical
conditions"? Sometimes you can group logical conditions within one of
the three available input boxes. Just checking---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try this link to J E McGimpsey's site:

http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/conditional6.html

In it he describes "How to get 6 formats without macros".

Hope this helps.

Pete

Greg L wrote:
Thank you for the help.

"Greg L" wrote:

I'm trying to use conditional formatting in Excel but am limited to only 3.
Has anyone found a way around this?? I have 4 letters with different
background colors that I'm using and rather than copy and pasting I'm trying
to use a cell pull down but end up having to manually copy and paste one due
to the fact I'm using a default clear cell as a starting point.

Thanks, Greg

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Go to Bob Phillips' site and download the CFPlus add-in which allows up to 30
conditions.

http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.....Download.html

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 18:32:01 -0700, Greg L
wrote:

Thank you for the help.

"Greg L" wrote:

I'm trying to use conditional formatting in Excel but am limited to only 3.
Has anyone found a way around this?? I have 4 letters with different
background colors that I'm using and rather than copy and pasting I'm trying
to use a cell pull down but end up having to manually copy and paste one due
to the fact I'm using a default clear cell as a starting point.

Thanks, Greg

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I have tried this program and it works for the first portion of my worksheet
to about cell 390 of the 780 that I have in this sheet, but then when I
select the next cell my pull down button appears, when selecting one of the
four letter options it puts the letter in there but does not give the color
formatting I have created for that letter.
My problem is I don't know how to program VB code and I'm sure there is a
really simple way to make a pull down menu for each cell and have 4 letters
with one color designated to each letter, I just don't know how to do it.

Thanks, Greg

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

Go to Bob Phillips' site and download the CFPlus add-in which allows up to 30
conditions.

http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.....Download.html

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006 18:32:01 -0700, Greg L
wrote:

Thank you for the help.