Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How to convert text to number?

I have rows of data.

ie. '12345
and I want to use vlookup using number value 12345.

There isn't an error message (with pull-down arrow) to convert this '12345
into a number.

How do I convert this without having to manually change these cells?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I don't quite understand. Is A2 the cell with '12345? What is the data/text
to column function?

The apostrophe in '12345 appears to be typed in (hence no error message).

"David Biddulph" wrote:

=VALUE(A2)
or use Data/ Text to Columns.
--
David Biddulph

"frenchtoast" wrote in message
I have rows of data.

ie. '12345
and I want to use vlookup using number value 12345.

There isn't an error message (with pull-down arrow) to convert this '12345
into a number.

How do I convert this without having to manually change these cells?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Add a 0 (zero) to any blank cell. Copy the zero. Select the text. Right
click. Paste Special - Add. The text will be converted to numbers...
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"frenchtoast" wrote:

I have rows of data.

ie. '12345
and I want to use vlookup using number value 12345.

There isn't an error message (with pull-down arrow) to convert this '12345
into a number.

How do I convert this without having to manually change these cells?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi frenchtoast

Assuming your 12345 is in cell A21, the TEXT function will convert it to
text format, which will then match the format type in your data

=VLOOKUP(TEXT(A21,"0"),C:D,2,0)

HTH
Best rgds
Chris Lav

"frenchtoast" wrote in message
I have rows of data.

ie. '12345
and I want to use vlookup using number value 12345.

There isn't an error message (with pull-down arrow) to convert this '12345
into a number.

How do I convert this without having to manually change these cells?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Why not try?
--
David Biddulph

"frenchtoast" wrote in message
I don't quite understand. Is A2 the cell with '12345? What is the
data/text
to column function?

The apostrophe in '12345 appears to be typed in (hence no error message).

"David Biddulph" wrote:

=VALUE(A2)
or use Data/ Text to Columns.
--
David Biddulph

"frenchtoast" wrote in message
I have rows of data.

ie. '12345
and I want to use vlookup using number value 12345.

There isn't an error message (with pull-down arrow) to convert this
'12345
into a number.

How do I convert this without having to manually change these cells?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Jim,

Thanks. I tried this, and the vlookup worked. Except in the cells where I
Pasted Special the 0, those cells are now 0. I need these cells to not
change. Any thoughts?

"frenchtoast" wrote:

I have rows of data.

ie. '12345
and I want to use vlookup using number value 12345.

There isn't an error message (with pull-down arrow) to convert this '12345
into a number.

How do I convert this without having to manually change these cells?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi David,

I tried the Data to Text command. This works except where the cells contain
'00012345 it converted to 12345. I need to keep 00012345 displayed. Do you
know how this can be done? (The vlookup worked).
Thank you.

"David Biddulph" wrote:

Why not try?
--
David Biddulph

"frenchtoast" wrote in message
I don't quite understand. Is A2 the cell with '12345? What is the
data/text
to column function?

The apostrophe in '12345 appears to be typed in (hence no error message).

"David Biddulph" wrote:

=VALUE(A2)
or use Data/ Text to Columns.
--
David Biddulph

"frenchtoast" wrote in message
I have rows of data.

ie. '12345
and I want to use vlookup using number value 12345.

There isn't an error message (with pull-down arrow) to convert this
'12345
into a number.

How do I convert this without having to manually change these cells?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Format the cell as 00000000
--
David Biddulph

"frenchtoast" wrote in message
Hi David,

I tried the Data to Text command. This works except where the cells
contain
'00012345 it converted to 12345. I need to keep 00012345 displayed. Do
you
know how this can be done? (The vlookup worked).
Thank you.

"David Biddulph" wrote:

Why not try?
--
David Biddulph

"frenchtoast" wrote in message
I don't quite understand. Is A2 the cell with '12345? What is the
data/text
to column function?

The apostrophe in '12345 appears to be typed in (hence no error
message).

"David Biddulph" wrote:

=VALUE(A2)
or use Data/ Text to Columns.
--
David Biddulph

"frenchtoast" wrote in message
I have rows of data.

ie. '12345
and I want to use vlookup using number value 12345.

There isn't an error message (with pull-down arrow) to convert this
'12345
into a number.

How do I convert this without having to manually change these cells?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you!

"David Biddulph" wrote:

Format the cell as 00000000
--
David Biddulph

"frenchtoast" wrote in message
Hi David,

I tried the Data to Text command. This works except where the cells
contain
'00012345 it converted to 12345. I need to keep 00012345 displayed. Do
you
know how this can be done? (The vlookup worked).
Thank you.

"David Biddulph" wrote:

Why not try?
--
David Biddulph

"frenchtoast" wrote in message
I don't quite understand. Is A2 the cell with '12345? What is the
data/text
to column function?

The apostrophe in '12345 appears to be typed in (hence no error
message).

"David Biddulph" wrote:

=VALUE(A2)
or use Data/ Text to Columns.
--
David Biddulph

"frenchtoast" wrote in message
I have rows of data.

ie. '12345
and I want to use vlookup using number value 12345.

There isn't an error message (with pull-down arrow) to convert this
'12345
into a number.

How do I convert this without having to manually change these cells?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Zuj Zuj is offline

Dear All

can you tell me how can i covert (1/1,OK,0) into (1/1). i want the (OK,0) to
be removed completely from the field.

"Chris Lavender" wrote:

Hi frenchtoast

Assuming your 12345 is in cell A21, the TEXT function will convert it to
text format, which will then match the format type in your data

=VLOOKUP(TEXT(A21,"0"),C:D,2,0)

HTH
Best rgds
Chris Lav

"frenchtoast" wrote in message
I have rows of data.

ie. '12345
and I want to use vlookup using number value 12345.

There isn't an error message (with pull-down arrow) to convert this '12345
into a number.

How do I convert this without having to manually change these cells?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It isn't very obvious how your message relates to the earlier part of the
thread, but try:
=SUBSTITUTE(A1,",OK,0","")
--
David Biddulph