Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Auto fill adjacent cells

I would like to know if there is a way to autofill cells adjacent to other
cells. What I have are dealer ID numbers in one range of cells on a separate
worksheet and their names in another range of cell on the worksheet named
DealerID and DealerName. If I select their ID or fill in their ID number in
one cell, I would like it to fill in the adjacent cell with their name. Is
this possible or am I expecting too much and should try Access instead?
Thanks, Ken
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Ken,
yes you can do it but you need a data base where you have your ID and your
name together then in another cell you can enter a formula like this and it
will bring the name once the ID is typed

=+VLOOKUP(A6,Dealername!A:B,2)

I asumme that you have only 2 columns and the name is in the 2nd one

"KenM" wrote:

I would like to know if there is a way to autofill cells adjacent to other
cells. What I have are dealer ID numbers in one range of cells on a separate
worksheet and their names in another range of cell on the worksheet named
DealerID and DealerName. If I select their ID or fill in their ID number in
one cell, I would like it to fill in the adjacent cell with their name. Is
this possible or am I expecting too much and should try Access instead?
Thanks, Ken

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks Eduardo:
If the first column has a drop down list so the person can either enter the
number or select it from the list, will this still work?