Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jon Jon is offline

Default How to direct to a cell from text

Okay here is my question, and I'm sure its basic.

I've got 3 drop down boxes that when chosen return a value.

The first drop down box returns a sheet number,
2nd returns a column letter
3rd returns a row number

In a 4th box I have a cell that combines all the text so it reads something
like:
Sheet2!B17

I want a cell to display the value in that cell.

So if I have a cell with the text in it, Sheet2!B17, how do I get an
adjacent cell to display the value that is contained in that specified cell?
This will be dependant on what the text in that cell is, and subject to
frequent change.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

just key in the indirect Function in the adjacent cell
Say you have Sheet2!B2 in c2, on D2 you should have =Indirect(C2)
--
If this posting was helpful, please click on the Yes button.
Regards,

Michael Arch.

"Jon" wrote:

Okay here is my question, and I'm sure its basic.

I've got 3 drop down boxes that when chosen return a value.

The first drop down box returns a sheet number,
2nd returns a column letter
3rd returns a row number

In a 4th box I have a cell that combines all the text so it reads something
like:
Sheet2!B17

I want a cell to display the value in that cell.

So if I have a cell with the text in it, Sheet2!B17, how do I get an
adjacent cell to display the value that is contained in that specified cell?
This will be dependant on what the text in that cell is, and subject to
frequent change.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Say that D1 is the cell that displays:
Sheet2!B17

In another cell enter:
=INDIRECT(D1) to display the contents of the cell mentioned in D1
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200815

"Jon" wrote:

Okay here is my question, and I'm sure its basic.

I've got 3 drop down boxes that when chosen return a value.

The first drop down box returns a sheet number,
2nd returns a column letter
3rd returns a row number

In a 4th box I have a cell that combines all the text so it reads something
like:
Sheet2!B17

I want a cell to display the value in that cell.

So if I have a cell with the text in it, Sheet2!B17, how do I get an
adjacent cell to display the value that is contained in that specified cell?
This will be dependant on what the text in that cell is, and subject to
frequent change.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

One way:

If the combined info is in cell D1: