Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Copy info into empty cells below info, until finds cell with new d

In Excel 2000 - I need a formula that will start at the top of a colum. WHen
it finds data in that column - copy that data to the cells below it which are
Empty or null cells, until it finds a cell with new data.. then begin to copy
that data in the empty or null cells below it until it finds a cell with
different data and so on

Sample (I Have thousands of this spaces of activity , so just copy would
take days)

08-01-08 Fred Jones Station 1
Station 2
Stations 3
John Smith Station 1
08-02-08 Sally Smith Station 4
Station 216
Station 1

Thanks for any help.. AS I said SOme times there is 50-200 spaces before the
new data and sometimes 1-2

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Say dates start from A2 and names from B2. Use two new columns (say
F:F and G:G). In F2, G2:

=A2
=B2

In F3, G3:

=IF(A3="",F2,A3)
=IF(B3="",G2,B3)

Copy the formulas of row 3 down as far as necessary. You can then copy
these columns to the original with EditPaste Special... choose
Values.

HTH
Kostis Vezerides

On Nov 16, 3:34*pm, Fat Jack Utah <Fat Jack
wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Select A and B then F5SpecialBlanksOK

Type an = sign in active blank cell then point or arrow up to cell above.

CTRL + ENTER to fill all blanks with the value from each cell above.

In place.............CopyPaste SpecialValuesOKEsc.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP