Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How do I copy formulas

I just re-installed Excel and the defaults that I am used to are not active.
Now when I copy a column that has formulas in it the formulas don't copy.
Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I have the same problem (with Excel 2007). My worksheet has two columns with
formulae, several others without. When I insert rows, even in between
existing rows, the formulae do not copy (the resulting cells are empty). I
have checked my Excel options and can't find anything that would cause this
behavior. (Used to be so easy...in older versions)!

Can anyone help?
--
Joaneee

"David Biddulph" wrote:

You say that the formulae don't copy. What is in the cells where the
formulae should be?
--
David Biddulph

"FlashGordon64" wrote in message
I just re-installed Excel and the defaults that I am used to are not
active.
Now when I copy a column that has formulas in it the formulas don't copy.
Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Your problem doesn't sound like the way the OP described the problem. Yours
sounds like the function that in Excel 2003 was Tools/ Options/ Edit/ Extend
data range formats and formulas. I don't have Excel 2007, but isn't it:
Office button, Excel Options, Advanced tab,check Extend Data range formats
and formulas ?
--
David Biddulph

"David Biddulph" wrote:

You say that the formulae don't copy. What is in the cells where the
formulae should be?
--
David Biddulph

"FlashGordon64" wrote in
message
I just re-installed Excel and the defaults that I am used to are not
active.
Now when I copy a column that has formulas in it the formulas don't
copy.
Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Do your formulas evaluate to ""?
Are you copying from one workbook to a different workbook?

If yes to both, then I bet you have both workbooks open in different instances
of excel. Close one workbook (and that instance of excel).

Then use File|Open (or ctrl-o) to open the second file and try again.

If this doesn't help, you may want to explain adding lots of details.

FlashGordon64 wrote:

I just re-installed Excel and the defaults that I am used to are not active.
Now when I copy a column that has formulas in it the formulas don't copy.
Any suggestions?

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I agree it's not the same problem - should have started a new thread.

That being said, yes, there is a checkbox as you describe in Excel options
in 2007. But I already have it checked. Does not seem to work for that
purpose.
--
Joaneee

"David Biddulph" wrote:

You say that the formulae don't copy. What is in the cells where the
formulae should be?
--
David Biddulph

"FlashGordon64" wrote in
message
I just re-installed Excel and the defaults that I am used to are not
active.
Now when I copy a column that has formulas in it the formulas don't
copy.
Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I have Excel 2002 sp2 which came with Office XP. I'm seeing the same behavior
and I just checked and that setting is enabled on my system.

When I select a row that has a formula in cell, the resulting cell in that
column is completely empty. No formula.

I can't see what that Edit option is doing. I turned it off and then tried a
row insert and I didn't see any difference in normal cell, or ones with
formulas or referenced in formulas in other cells.

Can you describe a scenerio where I can see the effect?

In a worksheet where I have a column that is a running Balance, I've found a
way to workaround the no formula copy issue. The formula I have in the cells
of the Balance column is:

=OFFSET(N17,-1,0)+L17-M17
Where L is Expense, M is payment and N is my running Balance. And 17 is the
first row where I can make an entry.

Notice no cell reference outside this row. Now when I insert a row, the
previous row has no value or formula so the Balance starts from $0.00. Then I
select the Row above the insertion and all rows inserted and hit Ctl-d 'Fill
Down'. Bingo the balance is correct again. I also have conditional formatting
enable that changes the cell shade to pink to highlight the missing formula.
That formula is simply:
=N45=""

Thanks,
John