Posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Error when sending mail with CDO

Hello,

One of our users reported a problem with sending email using CDO on
only one particular pc.
The problem didn't actually manifest itself in Excel, however the code
they use is almost identical to the code on http://www.rondebruin.nl/cdo.htm
I can also simulate the problem when I copy the Ron De Bruin code to
an Excel VBA code module and execute it on that particular pc.

The error in the applications is:

Fouten bij gegevenstransport
Er zijn fouten gebeurd bij het verzenden van de email :
De transportfunctie kan geen verbinding maken met de server.

In Excel/VBA, it goes like this:

Fout -2147220973 (80040213) tijdens uitvoering:
Automatiseringsfout

This error pops up on the .Send command.

I have already tried to send an email using Telnet (HELO, MAIL FROM,
RCPT TO, DATA) to rule out network or firewall issues. Telnetting to
port 25 of the mailserver worked just fine.

I searched for the error number and I only came up with a possible
solution that says that you have to add authentication by adding the
following to iConf.Fields:

..Item("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/
smtpauthenticate") = 1
..Item("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/sendusername") =
"username"
..Item("http://schemas.microsoft.com/cdo/configuration/sendpassword") =
"password"

but that didn't work either. The error was:

Sending NOT OK: Het bericht kan niet worden verzonden naar de SMTP-
server. De foutcode van het transport is 0x80040217. Reactie van
server: not available

I searched that error number too but I didn't find any interesting
answers.

We are using WindowsXPsp2 and Office2003sp3.
The SMTP server is a Lotus Notes server on the internal network and it
accepts SMTP connections without a need for authentication AFAICT.
(because the telnet test worked)

Except for replacing the pc, I have run out of ideas.
Has anyone ever encountered (and solved) a similar problem?

--
Amedee
Posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.misc

On 13 nov, 14:59, Amedee Van Gasse wrote:
[...]

*bump*

<little rant
I'm guessing that all of my questions are too difficult. (not only
about Excel, about other topics too)
I'm asking about advanced topics all the time, and most people only
pick the easy topics to answer.
That's easy karma and I don't blame anyone, such is human behavior.
</little rant

Sorry, I had to get that off my chest on this grey monday morning.
Haven't had my coffee yet.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Amedee

Setup a test account in OE and see if it is working then
CDO will get the information from that account then
--

Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm

"Amedee Van Gasse" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.misc

On 17 nov, 16:06, "Ron de Bruin" wrote:
Hi Amedee

Setup a test account in OE and see if it is working then
CDO will get the information from that account then

Hi Ron,

Sorry, no can do.
OE is not allowed to be installed or configured.
I could ask permission, but with all the red tape that could take me
at least 6 weeks, and with the factory shutting down for two weeks
because of the economy, I'll probably have to restart the procedure
all over next year. If I'm still working here by then, who knows where
the economy is going.

Amedee.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.misc

On 20 nov, 11:52, Amedee Van Gasse wrote:
On 17 nov, 16:06, "Ron de Bruin" wrote:

Hi Amedee

Setup a test account in OE and see if it is working then
CDOwill get the information from that account then

Hi Ron,

Sorry, no can do.
OE is not allowed to be installed or configured.
I could ask permission, but with all the red tape that could take me
at least 6 weeks, and with the factory shutting down for two weeks
because of the economy, I'll probably have to restart the procedure
all over next year. If I'm still working here by then, who knows where
the economy is going.

Amedee.

Hello,

Does anyone have any other suggestions?
If not, then I'm going to suggest an OS reinstall or a pc swap.

Amedee

Posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.misc

Why do you need CDO in the first place? Why can't you use the Outlook
object model?

Without posting the code, how is anyone supposed to tell why its
failing? I can't read the error description you've provided, it's
written in Dutch and most people reading these groups understand
English. How is anyone supposed to help you when you've deliberately
limited your audience?

I don't think your questions are too difficult -- you are just making
it hard for others to help you. Also, some people consider bumping
your own topics to be rude, and won't help.

Remember this is a newsgroup, staffed with unpaid volunteers. Instead
of whining about the cherry pickers, you should be grateful to receive
any help at all. You aren't entitled to free help, and complaining
about it makes it less likely in the future that others will help you.

--JP