Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Format that Omits Characters

I need a format that omits all of the characters before a hyphen (-) and one
after it.
example;
001- ABC displayed as ABC

I can easily do this with a formula but I need to do it in a format.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

That will solve your problem, won't it?

To the best of my knowledge and belief, I don't think it is possible.

However I have learnt not to say 'never'...

"Lemmesee" wrote:

I need a format that omits all of the characters before a hyphen (-) and one
after it.
example;
001- ABC displayed as ABC

I can easily do this with a formula but I need to do it in a format.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Yes it would but i will just have to settle for using a formula in another
column and hide the column with the original text in it..
But much thanks anyway.

"Lemmesee" wrote:

I need a format that omits all of the characters before a hyphen (-) and one
after it.
example;
001- ABC displayed as ABC

I can easily do this with a formula but I need to do it in a format.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

Here is a little bit of code which will do what you want. You could modify
it to be more general.

Sub Hide5Spaces()
Dim cell As Range
For Each cell In Selection
cell.Characters(Start:=1, Length:=5).Font.ColorIndex = 2
Next cell
End Sub

Right now it works only for the first five characters and it work if the
background cell fill is none. But you could change all that.

Thanks,
Shane Devenshire