Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default formula not working

I'm using Excel 2003 and am trying to compare columns to find out which of
the items are missing. I'm using the formula:

-ISNA(MATCH(D2,$I$2:$I$6035,FALSE))

Instead of returning true or false entries (or a formula error), it leaves
the formula in the cell. I've tried everything I could to make it work and
it won't. I built a test spreadsheet to try it and it works, but with the
real data it doesn't. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hey!
Don't get frustrated, just get out of the function, do something else, and
later look at it again:

=ISERROR(MATCH(D2,$I$2:$I$6035,FALSE))

This formula will read False if the value match
True if the value don't match

Argy
"SNIsRetired" wrote:

I'm using Excel 2003 and am trying to compare columns to find out which of
the items are missing. I'm using the formula:

-ISNA(MATCH(D2,$I$2:$I$6035,FALSE))

Instead of returning true or false entries (or a formula error), it leaves
the formula in the cell. I've tried everything I could to make it work and
it won't. I built a test spreadsheet to try it and it works, but with the
real data it doesn't. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

By "it leaves the formula in the cell" you mean you see the formula and not
its value? If that is the case, the most likely two reasons are
1. You have display formulas on - choose Tools, Options, View tab and
uncheck Formulas
2. You are on a Macro sheet - look at the tab name if it says Macro1, that
is your problem. You will need copy your stuff from that sheet to a regular
sheet and then delete the Macro sheet.

If these help, please click the Yes button.
--
Thanks,
Shane Devenshire

"SNIsRetired" wrote:

I'm using Excel 2003 and am trying to compare columns to find out which of
the items are missing. I'm using the formula:

-ISNA(MATCH(D2,$I$2:$I$6035,FALSE))

Instead of returning true or false entries (or a formula error), it leaves
the formula in the cell. I've tried everything I could to make it work and
it won't. I built a test spreadsheet to try it and it works, but with the
real data it doesn't. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If the cell was formatted as text, then it's a two step process.

First is to format the cell as General (or anything but text)

Second is to reenter the formula. (Hitting F2, then enter will suffice.)

"SNIsRetired" wrote:

I'm using Excel 2003 and am trying to compare columns to find out which of
the items are missing. I'm using the formula:

-ISNA(MATCH(D2,$I$2:$I$6035,FALSE))

Instead of returning true or false entries (or a formula error), it leaves
the formula in the cell. I've tried everything I could to make it work and
it won't. I built a test spreadsheet to try it and it works, but with the
real data it doesn't. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks.

--

Dave Peterson