Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Pivot Table Excel 2003 Formatting

I am using a pivot table to track data. (1) I want to color code fields to
track the occurrences of my data. Used Conditional Formating, but does not
remain on fields when needing to change color code for other occurence of
different data. (2) Is there a way to format for "containing" text in Excel
2003? I have a variety text that means the same thing and realize there is
only an ability to search 3 times. I realize 2007 has the "contain"
capability, as well as being to search more than 3 times for text and am
jealous of that fact.

Please make your solution as simple that a baby could follow, I'm new to
Excel and don't know a great deal.

Ex.

TABLE Column 1

ABC Agency Location (color green)
AB1 Agency Loc (color green)
DEF Insured
DE1 Insured Property (color yellow)
XYZ AL (color green)
XY1 Ins Propety (color yellow)
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

First, open the PivotTable toolbar by going to View - Toolbars, and selecting
it.
On the toolbar, click the PivotTable dropdown, go to Select, and make sure
"Enable Selection" is activated.

Now, in your pivot table, more your cursor to the outside edge of the
header/group of data you want to color. When the cursor changes into an arrow
symbol (similar to the one you see when selecting a whole row normally)
click. This should select a specific set of data in your table. Then format
it however you want, and your changes should stay. Hope that answers your
question!
--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"REREB" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This did not accomplish what I needed. I placed a filter on the column I
wanted to change and then I performed those steps to color code specific
data. Once I took the filter off, I expected the data that was colored to
remain and the other data that was not to remain uncolored. The result in
taking the filter off is that everything is now colored. I want to be able
to color code various data and see the differences at one time.

Is there a way to do that in Excel 2003?

"REREB" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Ok, it does work when I don't do the Conditional Formatting. I just have to
perform each occurrence of what I'm looking for instead of trying to perform
at one time. Thank you for your help.