Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel 2003 Pivot Table

I have a pivot table that gives me information on invoices paid to lawyers.
I have the subtotal at the lawyers level. We keep track of this quarterly.
so I have 1, 2, 3 and 4th qtr. numbers and Total. I put the total in the
data field and works perfect.

My problem is that I have a YTD% field, and it will not allow me to add it
to the data field when the Total is there. I need both field there because a
lawyer may have several rows (different services), so i need a total of all
the services and I need a YTD% also.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Nydia wrote:
I have a pivot table that gives me information on invoices paid to lawyers.
I have the subtotal at the lawyers level. We keep track of this quarterly.
so I have 1, 2, 3 and 4th qtr. numbers and Total. I put the total in the
data field and works perfect.

My problem is that I have a YTD% field, and it will not allow me to add it
to the data field when the Total is there. I need both field there because a
lawyer may have several rows (different services), so i need a total of all
the services and I need a YTD% also.

Hi Nydia,

It sounds like your YTD% is a precalculated aggregate value from the raw
data. I find intermingling such values with fields summarized by a pivot
table leads to headaches and often incorrect results. However, there are
a couple options you could explore.

"YTD" suggests you are accumulating something, and pivot tables might
accommodate you here using data field options. If you dig around in
there you will see "show data as..." "running total in".

Another possibility is to create a calculated field in the pivot table
that uses the raw data.

Hope this gives you some ideas.