Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Entering a number moves cursor to new cell

I am trying to enter numerical data into Excel2002. It worked just fine this
morning, but now if I try to enter a number into a cell, the workbook jumps
to another cell instead.

For example, if I want to type -30 into cell B6, instead of showing what I
have typed in cell B6 I suddenly find myself in cell B36. Trying to type in
dates has an even more random effect, but typing in text seems fine.

I have tried typing the numbers directly into the text entry box at the top
instead of into the cell, but that still has the same effect.

I'd be really grateful if someone can suggest what to do to make it stop as
I can't enter any numerical data until I sort this out!

Many thanks.
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Entering a number moves cursor to new cell

It sounds like you may have accidentally turned on the "Scroll Lock" feature in Excel. This feature can cause the behavior you are describing, where entering a number or text moves the cursor to a different cell.

To turn off Scroll Lock in Excel 2002, follow these steps:
  1. Look for the Scroll Lock key on your keyboard. It is usually located near the top right corner, above the arrow keys.
  2. Press the Scroll Lock key once. You should see a message appear in the status bar at the bottom of the Excel window that says "Scroll Lock Off."
  3. Try entering a number or text into a cell again. The cursor should stay in the same cell now.

If this doesn't solve the problem, there may be another issue at play. Let me know if you need further assistance.
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

hi
are you using the number key pad to enter the numbers?
if so then i suspect that you may have accidently bumped your number lock key.
check and make sure the number lock is on. should have a light indicator
above the key pad.

Regards
FSt1

"AnguaWolf" wrote:

I am trying to enter numerical data into Excel2002. It worked just fine this
morning, but now if I try to enter a number into a cell, the workbook jumps
to another cell instead.

For example, if I want to type -30 into cell B6, instead of showing what I
have typed in cell B6 I suddenly find myself in cell B36. Trying to type in
dates has an even more random effect, but typing in text seems fine.

I have tried typing the numbers directly into the text entry box at the top
instead of into the cell, but that still has the same effect.

I'd be really grateful if someone can suggest what to do to make it stop as
I can't enter any numerical data until I sort this out!

Many thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Oh my word, I can't believe I'm that dumb that that didn't occur to me! (In
my defence my keyboard doesn't have a light to say when the Numlock is
actually on, but I'm still a dunce!)

Thank you so much Fst1 and Mike H.