Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Button commands or hyperlinks

I am creating a workbook and plan to have a help sheet located within the
workbook. I don't have any problem linking each sheet to the help sheet with
the use of a hyperlinked ? button. What I can't seem to do is creat a back
button that will take the user back to the last page they were on.
I can creat a back link but I can only set it to one page. If the user is on
a different page it won't work. Rather then create several buttons that go
back to each page, is there a way to creat a back button that will take you
back to the previous page no matter which page that was?

Thanks for any help you can give. I'm trying to self teach but sometimes I
just can't find the answer and I have to ask.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

What I have done in the past is to have a Contents sheet which has
hyperlinks to each sheet, and then in each sheet I have a hyperlink
formula which takes you back to the Contents page - this avoids the
need for separate hyperlinks for Back-One-Sheet.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Nov 5, 2:40*am, chat wrote:
I am creating a workbook and plan to have a help sheet located within the
workbook. I don't have any problem linking each sheet to the help sheet with
the use of a hyperlinked ? button. What I can't seem to do is creat a back
button that will take the user back to the last page they were on.
I can creat a back link but I can only set it to one page. If the user is on
a different page it won't work. Rather then create several buttons that go
back to each page, is there a way to creat a back button that will take you
back to the previous page no matter which page that was?

Thanks for any help you can give. I'm trying to self teach but sometimes I
just can't find the answer and I have to ask.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks Pete, I thought about that too but I was really hoping I wouldn't have
to do that. Each page is a form that needs to be completed by the user and
I'm linking that to a help screen to explain what is expected on the form. I
was really trying to find a way that they could go right back to the form
they came from without multiple links.
Thanks again for you assistance.

On Nov 5, 2:40 am, chat wrote:
I am creating a workbook and plan to have a help sheet located within the
workbook. I don't have any problem linking each sheet to the help sheet with
the use of a hyperlinked ? button. What I can't seem to do is creat a back
button that will take the user back to the last page they were on.
I can creat a back link but I can only set it to one page. If the user is on
a different page it won't work. Rather then create several buttons that go
back to each page, is there a way to creat a back button that will take you
back to the previous page no matter which page that was?

Thanks for any help you can give. I'm trying to self teach but sometimes I
just can't find the answer and I have to ask.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I have a solution for you, conceptually mind you, my VBA is poor at best. If
you want the 'back button' to go back essentially 1 sheet, here is my idea.
Essentially, you have can go to 2 different sheets, a NEW sheet, one that
you haven't just visited (albeit, it could also be one you just visited, but
just getting there a different way), or the OLD sheet, the one you were at
prior. Effectively, I have 3 variables, PrvSht, PrvSht2 and CurSht.
When going to a NEW sheet, your VBA should include a line before you
actually leave the CurSht something to the effect of: Set PrvSht=CurSht, then
your button command can do all it's other fancy shmancy stuff.
When going to an OLD sheet, your VBA code needs to first put the current
sheet in a 'holding variable', like PrvSht2=CurSht, then your VBA can still
use PrvSht to go to the previous sheet, and of course, after you do that,
then you set PrvSht=PrvSht2, thus putting the just left sheet back into
PrvSht for the next 'back' button.

The other choice, is if you want to have 'multiple' back capability. This
would require some more VBA, and again, I'm the idea guy, you gotta write the
right code. Essentially, set up an array variable, something akin to PageList
or whatever. Then, assuming your TOC is PageList(1), whatever you click for
NEW would be PageList(2), and each successive NEW sheet visited would be
whatever your current sheet is +1. i.e..
Currently on PageList(5), click the new button, define the new sheet as
PageList(6) (I'd also consider ensuring PageList(7) and above are null, you
will have to figure out the error handlers).
Then, if I decide to go BACK, I would just decrease the number by 1, and go
to PageList(4). You could even have, in addition to your BACK and NEW
buttons, and button for FORWARD, and you could re-forward back to PageList(5)
etc. But this is why if you go back, and then go NEW, you would always want
to clear the PageList() array above what the new page is.

If you do follow any of the suggestions, I'd be interested in hearing how it
goes, but in either case, happy hunting!
--
** John C **

On Nov 5, 2:40 am, chat wrote:
I am creating a workbook and plan to have a help sheet located within the
workbook. I don't have any problem linking each sheet to the help sheet with
the use of a hyperlinked ? button. What I can't seem to do is creat a back
button that will take the user back to the last page they were on.
I can creat a back link but I can only set it to one page. If the user is on
a different page it won't work. Rather then create several buttons that go
back to each page, is there a way to creat a back button that will take you
back to the previous page no matter which page that was?

Thanks for any help you can give. I'm trying to self teach but sometimes I
just can't find the answer and I have to ask.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks for the response John. I will have to put some serious thought into
wrapping my head around your suggestions. I am 100% self taught and I'm not
my own best teacher. I love to play around and see what I can figure out.
It actually amazes me that this is so difficult seeing as I use buttons that
do exactly what I'm looking for all the time, yet it isn't something I can
recreate. I will try your suggestions and let you know if I get anything.

Thanks again!!