Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Locking Excel for Editing

I have a spreadsheet that is available on a shared drive at work.

I've seen it done before where, once the spreadsheet is open by one person,
everyone else can only open it as "read-only." The first person to open the
spreadsheet has the ability to edit it -- thereby, only one person can edit
the spreadsheet at a time.

How do I do this?

Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
dlw dlw is offline

doesn't that happen automatically? On your network, can multiple open and
edit one file? That would be odd.

"pslaught" wrote:

I have a spreadsheet that is available on a shared drive at work.

I've seen it done before where, once the spreadsheet is open by one person,
everyone else can only open it as "read-only." The first person to open the
spreadsheet has the ability to edit it -- thereby, only one person can edit
the spreadsheet at a time.

How do I do this?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi

This is default behavior, you don't have to do anything but saving the sheet
on a shared drive.

HTH. Best wishes Harald

"pslaught" wrote in message
I have a spreadsheet that is available on a shared drive at work.

I've seen it done before where, once the spreadsheet is open by one
person,
everyone else can only open it as "read-only." The first person to open
the
spreadsheet has the ability to edit it -- thereby, only one person can
edit
the spreadsheet at a time.

How do I do this?

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

If that's not happening, maybe your workbook is in Share mode. If so take
it out of Share mode by Tools, Share Workbook and uncheck Allow changes by

Thanks,
Shane Devenshire