Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Copy and paste VISIBLE data

I've formatted a column with a date serial number so that the cell shows just
the Month ( Cell value is "1/31/2008 10:26:34 PM" but the cell just shows
"Jan"). How do I copy that and paste it into a new cell so that the cell
VALUE becomes "Jan"?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You can't from the user interface.

You can uses a formula =TEXT(A1, "mmm"), and then replace copy/paste
special, values to replace the result.

Or you could do it with VBA.

--
shg
shg's Profile: http://www.thecodecage.com/forumz/member.php?userid=13

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

NM, I figured it out...In Column A I have ""1/31/2008 10:26:34 PM", In B I
put "=TEXT(A1,"MMM"). The "MMM" is formatting data to produce a three letter
month code like "JAN". Pivot table likes this data much better.

"Jaytee" wrote:

I've formatted a column with a date serial number so that the cell shows just
the Month ( Cell value is "1/31/2008 10:26:34 PM" but the cell just shows
"Jan"). How do I copy that and paste it into a new cell so that the cell
VALUE becomes "Jan"?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Suppose that date/time is in D1 of Sheet1 and you want it in another
cell on Sheet2. Put this formula in the cell:

=TEXT(Sheet1!D1,"mmm")

You could then fix the values on this using copy then paste special |
values.

Hope this helps.

Pete