Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
m m is offline

Default Convert selected formula references from relative to absolute

How do I convert a selected range of cell references within formulas from
relative to absolute?
For example cells within a column of cells are set up as:
='sheet name'!B9
='sheet name'!B10 etc.
How do I convert or change all the references within the selected range of
cells to:
='sheet name'!$B$9
='sheet name'!$B$10 etc.

Thank you,
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Sub Absolute()
Dim Cell As Range
For Each Cell In Selection
If Cell.HasFormula Then
Cell.Formula = Application.ConvertFormula _
(Cell.Formula, xlA1, xlA1, xlAbsolute)
End If
Next
End Sub

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 08:59:02 -0700, M wrote:

How do I convert a selected range of cell references within formulas from
relative to absolute?
For example cells within a column of cells are set up as:
='sheet name'!B9
='sheet name'!B10 etc.
How do I convert or change all the references within the selected range of
cells to:
='sheet name'!$B$9
='sheet name'!$B$10 etc.

Thank you,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Gord,

I'm new at this but would this also work in reverse from absolute to
relative if you change the text "absolute" to "relative" in the Macro below?
--
Regards
Warren

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Yes.

Here is the full set........................

Sub Absolute()
Dim Cell As Range
For Each Cell In Selection
If Cell.HasFormula Then
Cell.Formula = Application.ConvertFormula _
(Cell.Formula, xlA1, xlA1, xlAbsolute)
End If
Next
End Sub

Sub AbsoluteRow()
Dim Cell As Range
For Each Cell In Selection
If Cell.HasFormula Then
Cell.Formula = Application.ConvertFormula _
(Cell.Formula, xlA1, xlA1, xlAbsRowRelColumn)
Next
End Sub

Sub AbsoluteCol()
Dim Cell As Range
For Each Cell In Selection
If Cell.HasFormula Then
Cell.Formula = Application.ConvertFormula _
(Cell.Formula, xlA1, xlA1, xlRelRowAbsColumn)
Next
End Sub

Sub Relative()
Dim Cell As Range
For Each Cell In Selection
If Cell.HasFormula Then
Cell.Formula = Application.ConvertFormula _
(Cell.Formula, xlA1, xlA1, xlRelative)
Next
End Sub

Gord

On Thu, 30 Oct 2008 09:30:15 -0700, Warren Easton
wrote:

Hi Gord,

I'm new at this but would this also work in reverse from absolute to
relative if you change the text "absolute" to "relative" in the Macro below?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
m m is offline

Gord/ Warren and group - THANKS!!!
I sometimes spend 'hours' trying to figure 'it' out and finally give it up
and ask -
-Minutes- and you folks have the answer!!
Thanks,
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
j j is offline

Hi, I have a reasonable, but limited knowledge of the advanced areas of
Excel. I want to do exactly as you have explained in these comments, but I
don't understand what the response from Gord means, or what I do with it. I
have multiple spreadsheets that I have linked and need to make a lot of
relevant cells turn into absolute cells. Can anyway explain this to me in
layman's terms?
--
Thanks