Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Can't edit Excel or Word documents

I have been using Excel 2007 for the last few weeks on my new laptop.
Yesterday I was doing a routine copy/paste from one Excel document to
another, and all of a sudden I noticed that it wouldn't copy. I thought that
the file I was trying to copy from might have accidentally become read-only
so I tried just manually typing the information into the new document. It
would not.

Then I opened up other Excel documents that I had edited just hours before,
and I could not edit anything in those either. Same when I tried with a
completely blank document. The same thing is happening with Word 2007 as
well.

I don't think the files just turned read-only because I was able to edit the
files I needed on another computer. I don't know if I hit a wrong key
combination that turned everything into a protected mode or what. Almost
everything is grayed out on the Excel menu. I can't even click Save or Save
As, only help and Print. When I click the Excel button in the upper left I
can only press Open, Print, Close, Excel Options, and Exit Excel. When I try
Excel Options the onlytab that is available is Resources. I can't even click
Advanced.

Now, I have the Home/Student version of Office 2007 on my computer, but I
have yet to enter my Product Key (I was planning on doing a clean install of
Vista on this new laptop). It says that I am not required ot enter my
Product Key, and indeed when I would just exit the Product Key screen I could
use Excel as normal, as least for the past few weeks.

If Office 2007 just becomes inoperable after a set amount of time until the
Key is entered, okay, then I can borrow a coworker's computer to finish my
work today and look for the Product Key when I get home. But since I did
purchase the full version I suspect the solution is not that simple. Has
anyone else had a problem like this, suddenly unable to edit ANYTHING in
Excel or Word 2007?

Thanks!