Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Text to Columns

I have First and last names that were downloaded from a website. The names
appear to be separated by a space, but low and behold when I tried to use
text to columns to separate them it did not work. I had to go and change
what ever is separating the name to a space on one of the records to get it
to work. Any ideas on how to accomplish this and what might possibly be
separating the names.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It's probably Char(160), a non-breaking space which is used very often in
web sites.

Try TTC again, but click on "other" for delimiters,
THEN, in the window, hold down <Alt,
and key in
0160
using the numbers from the num keypad, *not* the numbers under the function
keys.

Of course, the box will appear empty, since it *is* a <space.

The "Data Preview" window should display the separation ... if my guess was
correct.

--

HTH,

RD

"SarahJ" wrote in message
I have First and last names that were downloaded from a website. The names
appear to be separated by a space, but low and behold when I tried to use
text to columns to separate them it did not work. I had to go and change
what ever is separating the name to a space on one of the records to get it
to work. Any ideas on how to accomplish this and what might possibly be
separating the names.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try these formulae

=LEFT(A1,FIND(CHAR(160),A1&CHAR(160))-1)

=SUBSTITUTE(A1&CHAR(160),B1&CHAR(160),"")

--
__________________________________
HTH

Bob

"SarahJ" wrote in message
I have First and last names that were downloaded from a website. The names
appear to be separated by a space, but low and behold when I tried to use
text to columns to separate them it did not work. I had to go and change
what ever is separating the name to a space on one of the records to get
it
to work. Any ideas on how to accomplish this and what might possibly be
separating the names.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi SarahJ,

Any ideas on how to accomplish this and what might possibly be
separating the names.

Select the seperating char and hit Control+c
Then do a search and replace, control+v into the search box and space into the
replace box. Then replace all.

Regards,

Jan Karel Pieterse
Excel MVP
http://www.jkp-ads.com
Member of:
Professional Office Developer Association
www.proofficedev.com