Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Read only message caused by camping out in file

In my office we have different departments that use one main worksheet that
everyone fills in their section's data. I continuously get the READ ONLY
NOTIFY message because the file is being used by someone else or they are in
the worksheet and have left their desk doing something else. I have to walk
around the office and find out who is in the file and ask them to get out.
Is there a way to display the username that is currently using the file when
the read only message comes up? thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

When I try to open a workbook in two instances of excel, I get an error
message that reads:

Book1.xls is locked for editing
by 'Barb Reinhardt' ...

Do you not get that? I'm in Excel 2003.

Barb Reinhardt

"Rhett C" wrote:

In my office we have different departments that use one main worksheet that
everyone fills in their section's data. I continuously get the READ ONLY
NOTIFY message because the file is being used by someone else or they are in
the worksheet and have left their desk doing something else. I have to walk
around the office and find out who is in the file and ask them to get out.
Is there a way to display the username that is currently using the file when
the read only message comes up? thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Usually it does pop up with a "person" is using the file. On the other hand
if many users are using this workbook at the same time have you considered
using the "share workbook" feature. It can be set to allow users to edit the
workbook at the same time.

--
Carrie

"Rhett C" wrote:

In my office we have different departments that use one main worksheet that
everyone fills in their section's data. I continuously get the READ ONLY
NOTIFY message because the file is being used by someone else or they are in
the worksheet and have left their desk doing something else. I have to walk
around the office and find out who is in the file and ask them to get out.
Is there a way to display the username that is currently using the file when
the read only message comes up? thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Or send out a message to each user asking if they would do this:

Tools|Options|General
and change their username to something more meaningful.

(It was a pain when I'd see: Valued Gateway Owner)

"Rhett C" wrote:

In my office we have different departments that use one main worksheet that
everyone fills in their section's data. I continuously get the READ ONLY
NOTIFY message because the file is being used by someone else or they are in
the worksheet and have left their desk doing something else. I have to walk
around the office and find out who is in the file and ask them to get out.
Is there a way to display the username that is currently using the file when
the read only message comes up? thanks!

--

Dave Peterson