Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Copying the Cell Above

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to copy some info from the cell above into the cell beneath.
However, the cells change and there are thousands, so I can't do a regular
copy and paste or fill by hand. For instance, I have employee numbers in A1
to A100. There are ratings for these employees in the B column. Say there are
5 ratings for each employee, but only the first score has an employee number
attached to it. Therefore there are four blank fields for every filled field
in A.

Basically, what I was trying to do was do a vlook-up from a different
workbook, but I ran into problems when I couldn't pull all the employees'
scores because there were blanks in my A column. I figured the easiest way
around this was to copy all the employee numbers into the cells beneath, but
if anyone has an easier way of doing this, it would be much appreciated.

Thank you so much!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Select Column A,
Hit <F5
Click "Special",
Click "Blanks",
Then <OK

Type the equal ( = ) sign,
Hit the <UP Arrow,
Hit <Ctrl <Enter,

And you're done!
--
HTH,

RD

"NoBooks" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks! That's perfect! Exactly what I was looking for.

However, I have an add-on question now:

Now I can't do a vlook-up because I now have multiple values that I am
trying to lookup up. (I am trying to look-up a test score for joe, but I have
5 test scores listed all for joe, so the vlook-up is getting confused.) Oops.

Anyway around this?

(EX:

I have:

Joe 01/08 high
Joe 02/08 Low
Joe 03/08 High
Joe 03/08 Medium
Sue 01/08 Low
Sue 02/08 High

And I want:

01/08 02/08 03/08 04/08
Joe High Low High Medium
Sue Low High

Etc. . . )

Thanks again!

"RagDyer" wrote:

Select Column A,
Hit <F5
Click "Special",
Click "Blanks",
Then <OK

Type the equal ( = ) sign,
Hit the <UP Arrow,
Hit <Ctrl <Enter,

And you're done!
--
HTH,

RD

"NoBooks" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In your OP, you stated that the employee number was in Column A, and the
ratings were in Column B.
BUT, in your second post, you show name in first column, date in second
column, and rating in third column.

What is your *exact* data configuration?

RD

"NoBooks" wrote in message
[...]

"RagDyer" wrote:

Select Column A,
Hit <F5
Click "Special",
Click "Blanks",
Then <OK

Type the equal ( = ) sign,
Hit the <UP Arrow,
Hit <Ctrl <Enter,

And you're done!
--
HTH,

RD

-
Please keep all correspondence within the NewsGroup, so all may benefit

!

-
"NoBooks" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
DA DA is offline

Hi
thanks for your suggestion; however, I have one more follow up questions.
Once I copy the data from above cell, I want to highlight the copied data in
yellow or any other color. How can I do it?
thanks

"RagDyer" wrote:

Select Column A,
Hit <F5
Click "Special",
Click "Blanks",
Then <OK

Type the equal ( = ) sign,
Hit the <UP Arrow,
Hit <Ctrl <Enter,

And you're done!
--
HTH,

RD

"NoBooks" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

After hitting CTRL + Enter the cells will still be selected.

Click on the color picker icon and select a color.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 5 Feb 2009 13:22:02 -0800, da wrote:

Hi
thanks for your suggestion; however, I have one more follow up questions.
Once I copy the data from above cell, I want to highlight the copied data in
yellow or any other color. How can I do it?
thanks

"RagDyer" wrote:

Select Column A,
Hit <F5