Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Time Serial

Hi

I have a Time columnin a csv file that i receive every month. This column is
suppose to represent a time. The values i receive are mosly over 10 digits,
example
123629757196
12807299828
12807333103

Does anyone know how i can convert these digits/serials to a valid time.

All efforts appreciated

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It is very difficult to say unless you know what time these numbers represent
(at least few of these)... Ask the source.

Looks like first 5 or 6 are dates
123629757196 - 12/03/06
12807299828 - 12/08/07
12807333103 - 12/08/07

If I enter a dot (.) after the first few digits (which seem to represent a
date) then I get the following times (after formatting as h:mm)

7:08
7:11
7:59

"ma1000" wrote:

Hi

I have a Time columnin a csv file that i receive every month. This column is
suppose to represent a time. The values i receive are mosly over 10 digits,
example
123629757196
12807299828
12807333103

Does anyone know how i can convert these digits/serials to a valid time.

All efforts appreciated

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks for quick response.

The source data comes from a mainframe.
Could you tell me how you created the below results so that i can convert a
couple to see if they make business sense.

"ma1000" wrote:

Hi

I have a Time columnin a csv file that i receive every month. This column is
suppose to represent a time. The values i receive are mosly over 10 digits,
example
123629757196
12807299828
12807333103

Does anyone know how i can convert these digits/serials to a valid time.

All efforts appreciated

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In Excel date and time are stored as m.n where m is the no of days since
1-Jan-1900 and n is the time represented as a multiple of 1/24.

I guessed by looking at the numbers that first few digits represented date
and remaining time so I put a dot in between and formatted as date-time.

If they are coming from mainframe and not converted for Excel then they must
be interpreted as per the source system. They might even be in EBSIDIC format
in the source...

You need to ask the person/team/group which created the file.