Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Month text as a value

Hi, I am wokring on a spreadsheet which gives the month name in a drop down
list to select. This drop down box is then linked to another cell which reads
is contents to give the value dependent on which month is chosen, however, I
have a problem in that excel cannot read the month as a value. How do I
overcome this?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you select October from the drop down list what value should that equate
to?

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"DaveKid" wrote in message
Hi, I am wokring on a spreadsheet which gives the month name in a drop
down
list to select. This drop down box is then linked to another cell which
reads
is contents to give the value dependent on which month is chosen, however,
have a problem in that excel cannot read the month as a value. How do I
overcome this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Not sure I understand problem but does this help
=LOOKUP(A1,{"Jan","Feb","Mar","Apr"},{1,2,3,4})
If A1 has value Feb this returns number 2, etc
I got tired of typing so add more months
best wishes

--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"DaveKid" wrote in message
Hi, I am wokring on a spreadsheet which gives the month name in a drop
down
list to select. This drop down box is then linked to another cell which
reads
is contents to give the value dependent on which month is chosen, however,
have a problem in that excel cannot read the month as a value. How do I
overcome this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Mon, 27 Oct 2008 09:24:05 -0700, DaveKid
wrote:

Hi, I am wokring on a spreadsheet which gives the month name in a drop down
list to select. This drop down box is then linked to another cell which reads
is contents to give the value dependent on which month is chosen, however, I
have a problem in that excel cannot read the month as a value. How do I
overcome this?

I assume your month names are in a list someplace, in order, so:

=MATCH(A1,List_of_Months,0)

will return the number of the month.
--ron

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The dot didn't work for me (my USA settings???).

But this did:
=MONTH(A1&" 1, 2008")

As did this:
=MONTH("1"&A1&"2008")
and
=MONTH(1&A1&2008)
(and I didn't have to worry about the separator)

Harald Staff wrote:

Another:
=MONTH(A1&" 1. 2008")

Best wishes Harald

"DaveKid" wrote in message
Hi, I am wokring on a spreadsheet which gives the month name in a drop
down
list to select. This drop down box is then linked to another cell which
reads
is contents to give the value dependent on which month is chosen, however,
have a problem in that excel cannot read the month as a value. How do I
overcome this?

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Of course, faults are all in your settings Dave, solution is perfect <bg.
No, here (northern Europe) it is
=MONTH("1. "&A1&" 2008")
and I felt pretty sure that just switching positions would do the trick.
Thank you for the correction.

Dates in Excel are strange. Here in Norway you an type almost any kind of
date and Excel gets it. The Danish version (neighbor country with pretty
much the same language) is extremely picky and I think you must be a
scientist to enter a date into a cell properly.

Best wishes Harald

"Dave Peterson" wrote in message
The dot didn't work for me (my USA settings???).

But this did:
=MONTH(A1&" 1, 2008")

As did this:
=MONTH("1"&A1&"2008")
and
=MONTH(1&A1&2008)
(and I didn't have to worry about the separator)

Harald Staff wrote:

Another:
=MONTH(A1&" 1. 2008")

Best wishes Harald

"DaveKid" wrote in message
Hi, I am wokring on a spreadsheet which gives the month name in a drop
down
list to select. This drop down box is then linked to another cell which
reads
is contents to give the value dependent on which month is chosen,
however,
have a problem in that excel cannot read the month as a value. How do I
overcome this?

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The fault, dear Harald, is not in our settings, but in ourselves...

(just in case...)
http://www.enotes.com/shakespeare-qu...utus-our-stars

Harald Staff wrote:

[...]

Harald Staff wrote:

Another:
=MONTH(A1&" 1. 2008")

Best wishes Harald

"DaveKid" wrote in message
Hi, I am wokring on a spreadsheet which gives the month name in a drop
down
list to select. This drop down box is then linked to another cell which
reads
is contents to give the value dependent on which month is chosen,
however,
have a problem in that excel cannot read the month as a value. How do I
overcome this?

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Basically..... I have 10,000 columns of data each defined by the month they
are in with the month name November, December etc. I have a list of the
months in a drop down menu which when selected will give the amount of data
for that month. I am trying to give a year to date value which will calculate
the month and the months prior to the month selected but I can not do this.

"DaveKid" wrote in message
Hi, I am wokring on a spreadsheet which gives the month name in a drop
down
list to select. This drop down box is then linked to another cell which
reads
is contents to give the value dependent on which month is chosen, however,
have a problem in that excel cannot read the month as a value. How do I
overcome this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 05:06:05 -0700, DaveKid
wrote:

No this doesnt wortk either.

Then what you posted does not match what you really have.
--ron
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Ron

You were not specific in where I put this. In the cell with the month in? or
next to it. I need the value to be in my list of months. What you have given
me does not work and I dont think you understand the problem.

wrote:

No this doesnt wortk either.

Then what you posted does not match what you really have.
--ron

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Beautiful!

(You're not a real geek after all, confess :-)

Harald Staff wrote:

[...]

Harald Staff wrote:

Another:
=MONTH(A1&" 1. 2008")

Best wishes Harald

"DaveKid" wrote in message
Hi, I am wokring on a spreadsheet which gives the month name in a
drop
down
list to select. This drop down box is then linked to another cell
which
reads
is contents to give the value dependent on which month is chosen,
however,
have a problem in that excel cannot read the month as a value. How
do I
overcome this?

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 06:45:01 -0700, DaveKid
wrote:

Hi Ron

You were not specific in where I put this. In the cell with the month in? or
next to it. I need the value to be in my list of months. What you have given
me does not work and I dont think you understand the problem.

You are correct that I do not understand the problem.

The formula can be put in any cell other than a precedent cell.

It should return the month number. What did it return?
--ron
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

A longggggg time ago, I was a Math major with an English minor.

But that was because I liked the grammar/syntax stuff (not the literature
side!).

Harald Staff wrote:

[...]

Harald Staff wrote:

Another: