Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson Dave Peterson is offline

Default Month text as a value

The fault, dear Harald, is not in our settings, but in ourselves...

(just in case...)
http://www.enotes.com/shakespeare-qu...utus-our-stars

Harald Staff wrote:

Of course, faults are all in your settings Dave, solution is perfect <bg.
No, here (northern Europe) it is
=MONTH("1. "&A1&" 2008")
and I felt pretty sure that just switching positions would do the trick.
Thank you for the correction.

Dates in Excel are strange. Here in Norway you an type almost any kind of
date and Excel gets it. The Danish version (neighbor country with pretty
much the same language) is extremely picky and I think you must be a
scientist to enter a date into a cell properly.

Best wishes Harald

"Dave Peterson" wrote in message
The dot didn't work for me (my USA settings???).

But this did:
=MONTH(A1&" 1, 2008")

As did this:
=MONTH("1"&A1&"2008")
and
=MONTH(1&A1&2008)
(and I didn't have to worry about the separator)

Harald Staff wrote:

Another:
=MONTH(A1&" 1. 2008")

Best wishes Harald

"DaveKid" wrote in message
Hi, I am wokring on a spreadsheet which gives the month name in a drop
down
list to select. This drop down box is then linked to another cell which
reads
is contents to give the value dependent on which month is chosen,
however,
have a problem in that excel cannot read the month as a value. How do I
overcome this?

--

Dave Peterson

--