Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Are there any functions or tricks to dedupe a list?

I need to count how many unique records (rows) there are so hiding rows. Is
there any macro or function that will dedupe to display a single entry for a
unqiue cell entry.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

We need more detail, show us some sample data. What makes a row unique, in
other words does column A contain First Names, B Last Names, C Age, D Salary,
and so on. Then is a unique a row in which all columns are unique or just
some of the columns?

What do you mean by "so hiding rows" do you mean you want to hide rows that
are duplicated?

If so, you might try selecting all the columns of data and choosing Data,
Filter, Advanced Filter, check the Unique Records button and click OK.

--
Thanks,
Shane Devenshire

"jerry" wrote:

I need to count how many unique records (rows) there are so hiding rows. Is
there any macro or function that will dedupe to display a single entry for a
unqiue cell entry.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Shane is right - more info and clarification would help, but in the meantime,
IF you want to examine the list and get a list of unique entries in it (try
his recommendation also), you can use these formulas to list the unique
values in a column.

Assume your data is in column A and begins at row 1 (and goes down to 512 in
my test case). Column C is now empty, and is available for this use, so our
first formula goes into C1
=A1
that echos the value from A1 and 'seeds' the rest of the formulas
in C2 put
=IF(COUNTIF($C$1:C1,A2)0,"",A2)
fill that formula down to the end of your list. Unique entries will appear
at the first row they are encountered in the original list. Maybe that will
give you a kick start.