Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Restrict cell entry until another cell has random text

Hi

I am sure I should be using data validation but cant seem to do the
following,

I want to stop the user entering data into B1 until they have entered
something into A1. I thought I could get a message box to pop up when they
select B1 if A1 is empty. When A1 is populated they can proceed as normal.

Any help would be appreciated.
Kenny W
XP pro
Office 2003

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

data validation for the cell B1 | go to data | validation | custom |
Allow: custom | formula : =A1<"" | uncheck ignore blank | ok

On Oct 24, 7:39*pm, "Forum freak \(at work\)"
wrote:
Hi

I am sure I should be using data validation but cant seem to do the
following,

I want to stop the user entering data into B1 until they have entered
something into A1. *I thought I could get a message box to pop up when they
select B1 if A1 is empty. When A1 is populated they can proceed as normal..

Any help would be appreciated.
Kenny W
XP pro
Office 2003

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Kenny,

Use data validation on B1 with the custom formula

=A1<""

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP