-   -   Restrict cell entry until another cell has random text (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/207652-restrict-cell-entry-until-another-cell-has-random-text.html)

Forum freak \(at work\)

Restrict cell entry until another cell has random text

Hi

I am sure I should be using data validation but cant seem to do the
following,

I want to stop the user entering data into B1 until they have entered
something into A1. I thought I could get a message box to pop up when they
select B1 if A1 is empty. When A1 is populated they can proceed as normal.

Any help would be appreciated.
Kenny W
XP pro
Office 2003

muddan madhu

Restrict cell entry until another cell has random text

data validation for the cell B1 | go to data | validation | custom |
Allow: custom | formula : =A1<"" | uncheck ignore blank | ok

On Oct 24, 7:39*pm, "Forum freak \(at work\)"
wrote:
Hi

I am sure I should be using data validation but cant seem to do the
following,

I want to stop the user entering data into B1 until they have entered
something into A1. *I thought I could get a message box to pop up when they
select B1 if A1 is empty. When A1 is populated they can proceed as normal..

Any help would be appreciated.
Kenny W
XP pro
Office 2003

Bernie Deitrick

Restrict cell entry until another cell has random text

Kenny,

Use data validation on B1 with the custom formula

=A1<""

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"Forum freak (at work)" wrote in message
Hi

I am sure I should be using data validation but cant seem to do the following,

I want to stop the user entering data into B1 until they have entered something into A1. I
thought I could get a message box to pop up when they select B1 if A1 is empty. When A1 is
populated they can proceed as normal.

Any help would be appreciated.
Kenny W
XP pro
Office 2003

Forum freak \(at work\)

Restrict cell entry until another cell has random text

Ah, the uncheck ignore blank was confusing me - got it working now

Many thanks to all for assisting.
Kenny W