Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Importing txt-file with "." (= dot) as decimal separator doesn't w

I'm running Finnish language version of Excel. I'm importing a text file to
spreadsheet with several colums. Text file contains colums separated with
space. Some colums contain decimal numbers with "." (= dot) as separator.

When opening the text file in Excel some of the decimal numbers are shown as
dates and other numbers are formatted as general (not as a decimal number).
This is the result regardless of which decimal separator I choose. (The
default in the Finnish version is "," (= comma).

Old Excel handled this situation without any problem. So now I walk to an
other computer with Excel 2000 in order to able solve the problem. - Not nice.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Check your Windows Regional Settings (in Control Panel). See what that has
as the separator. The settings there are what governs how data is treated
when being fed *into* Excel; the "Format/ Cells" options affect only how a
number (if it has been recognised as a number, rather than text) is
*displayed*.
--
David Biddulph