Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Can I make a drop-down menu without cells containing the choices?

I want to make a drop-down menu without having to reference cells that
contain the information in the menu (because I don't want to have to devote
cells to just a menu, and have to keep track of where and what they are). Is
there a way to do this, like reference a name containing a single column of
cells or something? I tried, but couldn't get it to work. Thanks in advance.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You can type a list in the Data Validation dialog box, instead of
refering to a range on the worksheet. There's a limit of 255 characters.

For example,
Select the cells where you want the drop down list
Choose DataValidation
From the Allow drop down, choose List
In the Source box, type your list, e.g.:
East, West, North, South
Click OK

--
Debra Dalgleish
Contextures

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You can simply enter the items using a comma delimiter directly into the
data validation user form but when done like this you're limited to 255
characters. Like this:

Tom,Sue,Bill,Pam,Linda

You can also use a named range:

Sheet1!A1:A25 = list of names

Select the range Sheet1!A1:A25

In the name box (that little area directly above the header for column A)
type in a name for the list like, say, MyList then hit enter. Then, as the
source for the data validation list use: =MyList

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP