Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default How to make a column of cells have a drop down menu

On one sheet, I would like to have a list of names (travelers in my case)
which I would assume I would need to define as a group. I would like the
first column of cells on ANOTHER sheet in the workbook to each have a drop
down menu when clicked upon, that lists every name (from the previous sheet)
so that you can choose which name to put in the cell. Is this possible in
Excel? In the end, I basically would want one sheet to store all the names,
then as many sheets as needed for different projects where I could just draw
upon those names with drop down menus.
Thanks for any help!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Watch this 5 min video:

How to setup a data validation drop down list:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=t2OsWJijrOM

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Alzheimer'sResearch" wrote
in message ...
On one sheet, I would like to have a list of names (travelers in my case)
which I would assume I would need to define as a group. I would like the
first column of cells on ANOTHER sheet in the workbook to each have a drop
down menu when clicked upon, that lists every name (from the previous
sheet)
so that you can choose which name to put in the cell. Is this possible in
Excel? In the end, I basically would want one sheet to store all the
names,
then as many sheets as needed for different projects where I could just
draw
upon those names with drop down menus.
Thanks for any help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

Suppose the range where the original names are is A1:A100 of Sheet2.
1. Select that range without the title at the top and click in the Name Box
on the far left on the Formula Bar (were is gives cell addresses). Type in
myList and press Enter.
2. Move to the sheet where you want the users to have the list. Select the
cells the should display the list
3. choose Data, Validation, set Allows to List and enter =myList in the
Source box and click OK.

when the user moves into any cell in this area they will have a drop down
with all the names listed.
--
Thanks,
Shane Devenshire