Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Return a value if variable is in a range

I have a column that includes a number representing attained age. There are
approximately 21,000 records. I need to find the distribution of ages in
increments of 10. i.e., the number of records betwen 0 and 10, 11 and 20, 21
and 30, etc.

I've tried using an if statement in the following format:
=IF(11<=D2<=20,1,0). If D2 (attained age) is = 11 and is less than 20, give
me 1 as the value, otherwise, return 0. The statement does not seem to be
working properly.

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

Create yourself a table with the age groupings in which in my case is in
columns A1 & B1 down

0 10
11 20
21 30

The put this in C1 and drag down

=COUNTIF($A$1:$A$100,"="&B1)-COUNTIF($A$1:$A$100,""&C1)

Mike

"plally" wrote:

I have a column that includes a number representing attained age. There are
approximately 21,000 records. I need to find the distribution of ages in
increments of 10. i.e., the number of records betwen 0 and 10, 11 and 20, 21
and 30, etc.

I've tried using an if statement in the following format:
=IF(11<=D2<=20,1,0). If D2 (attained age) is = 11 and is less than 20, give
me 1 as the value, otherwise, return 0. The statement does not seem to be
working properly.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

=--and(D2=11, D2<=20)
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"plally" wrote:

I have a column that includes a number representing attained age. There are
approximately 21,000 records. I need to find the distribution of ages in
increments of 10. i.e., the number of records betwen 0 and 10, 11 and 20, 21
and 30, etc.

I've tried using an if statement in the following format:
=IF(11<=D2<=20,1,0). If D2 (attained age) is = 11 and is less than 20, give
me 1 as the value, otherwise, return 0. The statement does not seem to be
working properly.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

two ways -
1. Put the data in a pivot table and put the number field in the row area.
Place your cursor in the row field and choose Pivot Table, Group and Show
Detail, Group. The dialog box that appears is easy.
2. In a column, say D1:D10, enter the numbers
10, 20, 30...100
Select E1:E10 and type, but do not enter, the formula
=FREQUENCY(A1:A22000,D1:D10)
Press Shift+Control+Enter not enter.

--
Thanks,
Shane Devenshire

"plally" wrote:

I have a column that includes a number representing attained age. There are
approximately 21,000 records. I need to find the distribution of ages in
increments of 10. i.e., the number of records betwen 0 and 10, 11 and 20, 21
and 30, etc.

I've tried using an if statement in the following format:
=IF(11<=D2<=20,1,0). If D2 (attained age) is = 11 and is less than 20, give
me 1 as the value, otherwise, return 0. The statement does not seem to be
working properly.

Thanks

Variable Range for NPV Dkline Excel Worksheet Functions 7 August 27th 08 02:14 PM
Return a Variable value length Sean Excel Worksheet Functions 5 December 4th 06 09:25 PM
variable range John New Users to Excel 2 July 21st 06 03:42 PM
from Range variable Marina Limeira Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 0 January 22nd 06 02:35 PM
from Range variable Marina Limeira Charts and Charting in Excel 0 January 22nd 06 02:35 PM