Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Fill in blank columns.

I would like to fill in the chq# in the column next to the invoice numbers.
How would I go about doing it?

25246 (chq #)

5650MAR1508MM need cheque # filled in this column

25247

069

25248

002956009059
002956033059
002957358059
004640086041
861-7022-MAR908

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

One easy play which should deliver it for you

Data as posted is assumed in cols A and B, from row1 down,
cheque#s in col A (with in-between blank cells), invoice#s in col B

In C1: =A1
In C2: =IF(A2="",C1,A2)
Copy C2 down to extent of data in col B
Then in D1: =IF(B1="","",C1)
Copy D1 down. Your desired results in col D.
--
Max
Singapore
"indigo993" wrote:
I would like to fill in the chq# in the column next to the invoice numbers.
How would I go about doing it?

25246 (chq #)

5650MAR1508MM need cheque # filled in this column

25247

069

25248

002956009059
002956033059
002957358059
004640086041
861-7022-MAR908

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I forgot to add one more piece of information to this question.
Under the same columns as the chq #, there is also a vendor ID#. I want to
only copy down in 'column C the chq #. Is this possible?

25246 (chq #)

8517 5650MAR1508MM need cheque # filled in this column

25247

8518 069

25248

8519 002956009059
8519 002956033059
8519 002957358059
8519 004640086041
8519 861-7022-MAR908

thanks

"indigo993" wrote:
I would like to fill in the chq# in the column next to the invoice numbers.
How would I go about doing it?

25246 (chq #)

5650MAR1508MM need cheque # filled in this column

25247

069

25248

002956009059
002956033059
002957358059
004640086041
861-7022-MAR908

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

Becoming tough ..

One possible play ..
In C1: =IF(LEN(A1)<5,"",A1)
Copy down. This presumes that cheque#s in col A will always be distinctly
5-digits or more, and that vendor ids (or what-have-you) will not exceed 4
digits/chars. If this is so, then col C will return only the cheque#s

Then, essentially applying the earlier play
using col C now as the reference (instead of col A)

In D1: =C1
In D2: =IF(C2="",D1,C2)
Copy D2 down

In E1: =IF(B1="","",D1)
Copy E1 down. Your desired results in col E.

Press the Yes button below, wont you?
--
"indigo993" wrote:
I forgot to add one more piece of information to this question.
Under the same columns as the chq #, there is also a vendor ID#. I want to
only copy down in 'column C the chq #. Is this possible?

25246 (chq #)

8517 5650MAR1508MM need cheque # filled in this column

25247

8518 069

25248

8519 002956009059