Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Vlookup using 2 criteria

I am trying to use vlookup to populate a table with less data over the same
time period. I can use the data/time column (see below) but the date/time
repeats sometimes for different values in the second column. So my question
is how can i get vlookup to match the values in the first and second columns
when it retrieves data for the column i am interested in...

7/1/2008 0:52 KBA 25.6 (column of interest)
..
..
different time and date stamps...
..
..

7/1/2008 0:52 Kgg 30.6

When i use vlookup now to find the exact match it returns the first instance
on that particular time stamp, how can i get it to match to that second
column too.

Many thanks!!

Marcus

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Concatenate the first and second columns in a third column then use vlookup
on the concatenated value.

Tom
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Saved from a previous post:

If you want exact matches for just two columns (and return a value from a
third), you could use:

=index(othersheet!$c$1:$c$100,
match(1,(a2=othersheet!$a$1:$a$100)
*(b2=othersheet!$b$1:$b$100),0))

(all in one cell)

them yourself.)

Adjust the range to match--but you can only use the whole column in xl2007.

This returns the value in othersheet column C when column A and B (of
othersheet) match A2 and B2 of the sheet with the formula.

And you can add more conditions by just adding more stuff to that product
portion of the formula:

=index(othersheet!$d$1:$d$100,
match(1,(a2=othersheet!$a$1:$a$100)
*(b2=othersheet!$b$1:$b$100)
*(c2=othersheet!$c$1:$c$100),0))

mebsmith wrote:

I am trying to use vlookup to populate a table with less data over the same
time period. I can use the data/time column (see below) but the date/time
repeats sometimes for different values in the second column. So my question
is how can i get vlookup to match the values in the first and second columns
when it retrieves data for the column i am interested in...

7/1/2008 0:52 KBA 25.6 (column of interest)
.
.

--

Dave Peterson