Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Formulas do not work in Excel 2007

I am use to typing a formula and having it show the results. Now the cell
just shows the formula.

I have clicked "show formula" and this does not help. Also when I copy
(what I think is) a formula it does not update the cells. In other words it
treats copy as text.

I entered these formulas through the function library and on the popup
window the result is shown.

UGH - I am need to do something simple and this is taking all day.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

If the cell is formatted as text when you entered the formula, it doesn't
matter if you used the formula library.

1. Select the cell(s) and choose Format, Cells, General.
2. Select an empty cell and choose Copy
3. Reselect the original cell(s) and choose Edit, Paste Special, Add

If you have this problem in a single cell the for step 2 you could press F2
and then Enter.

--
Thanks,
Shane Devenshire

"Neal" wrote:

I am use to typing a formula and having it show the results. Now the cell
just shows the formula.

I have clicked "show formula" and this does not help. Also when I copy
(what I think is) a formula it does not update the cells. In other words it
treats copy as text.

I entered these formulas through the function library and on the popup
window the result is shown.

UGH - I am need to do something simple and this is taking all day.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Things to try:
1) Use CTRL+` (that is the key to the left of 1 on the top row)
2) Reformat the cells as General and press F9 to recalculate
3) retype the formula (remember to begin it with =)
Let us know which one works
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Neal" wrote in message
I am use to typing a formula and having it show the results. Now the cell
just shows the formula.

I have clicked "show formula" and this does not help. Also when I copy
(what I think is) a formula it does not update the cells. In other words
it
treats copy as text.

I entered these formulas through the function library and on the popup
window the result is shown.

UGH - I am need to do something simple and this is taking all day.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Click on the blank space above Row 1 and left of Col A. This selects the
entire spreadsheet. Now select General on the Home ribbon of XL'07, or
Format, Cells, General in previous versions.
--
TedMi