Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Split column and row

I opened a worksheet once & it had a split in the column and showed the
headers too. I want to learn how to do this to worksheets I work with from
now on. Do you have any ideas how this can be accomplished? I thought it
was quite handy at the time, and have had trouble figuring it out ever since.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

jackie,

Window|New Window
Window|Compare side by side

HTH

Mike

"Jackie" wrote:

I opened a worksheet once & it had a split in the column and showed the
headers too. I want to learn how to do this to worksheets I work with from
now on. Do you have any ideas how this can be accomplished? I thought it
was quite handy at the time, and have had trouble figuring it out ever since.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

(In xl2003 menus)

You can freeze panes.

Select a cell. (Say C9)
window|Freeze panes

Everything to the left of this cell (columns A:B) and everything to above this
cell (rows 1:8) will be frozen.

To unfreeze panes, it's
window|unfreeze panes

There's another option to split the window. Each pane will be independently
scrollable. I find this way to confusing for most situations (I like
windows|Freeze panes).

But it works the same way.
Select a cell
window|split

(You can't have split and freeze panes in the same window, either.)

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

1 Starting with a new worksheet, move to cell C4
2 Use the command Windows | Freeze Panes
Now as you scroll thru the worksheet, rows 1, 2 and 3 and columns A and B
remain visible
To undo this, use Windows |Unfreeze panes (with any active cell)

If you use XL 2007: View tab, Windows group, Freeze Panes icon
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP