-   -   Split column and row (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/206600-split-column-row.html)

Jackie

Split column and row

I opened a worksheet once & it had a split in the column and showed the
headers too. I want to learn how to do this to worksheets I work with from
now on. Do you have any ideas how this can be accomplished? I thought it
was quite handy at the time, and have had trouble figuring it out ever since.

Mike H

Split column and row

jackie,

Window|New Window
Window|Compare side by side

HTH

Mike

"Jackie" wrote:

I opened a worksheet once & it had a split in the column and showed the
headers too. I want to learn how to do this to worksheets I work with from
now on. Do you have any ideas how this can be accomplished? I thought it
was quite handy at the time, and have had trouble figuring it out ever since.

Dave Peterson

Split column and row

(In xl2003 menus)

You can freeze panes.

Select a cell. (Say C9)
window|Freeze panes

Everything to the left of this cell (columns A:B) and everything to above this
cell (rows 1:8) will be frozen.

To unfreeze panes, it's
window|unfreeze panes

There's another option to split the window. Each pane will be independently
scrollable. I find this way to confusing for most situations (I like
windows|Freeze panes).

But it works the same way.
Select a cell
window|split

(You can't have split and freeze panes in the same window, either.)

--

Dave Peterson

Bernard Liengme

Split column and row

1 Starting with a new worksheet, move to cell C4
2 Use the command Windows | Freeze Panes
Now as you scroll thru the worksheet, rows 1, 2 and 3 and columns A and B
remain visible
To undo this, use Windows |Unfreeze panes (with any active cell)

If you use XL 2007: View tab, Windows group, Freeze Panes icon
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP