Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Conditional formatting in Excel 2003

How can I format one cell based on the contents of another cell. I would like
to have the color of a row of cells change automatically based on the
contents of one of the cells in the subject row. Example: if A1 reads "YES",
then I want cells A1 through G1 to change color from no color to green. if A1
reads "NO", then I want cells A1 through G1 to change color to red and if A!
is blank, then I want the cells to stay with no color.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

How can I format one cell based on the contents of another cell

You control it through the $ sign, ie fix the point to col A (the col ref)

Select cols A to G
(swipe from col A to G, so that A1 is active)

then apply the CF using Formula Is:
Cond1: =$A1="Yes"
Format: Green fill
Cond2: =$A1="No"
Format: Red fill
Click to ok out

--
Max
Singapore
"Bruce McGinnis" wrote:
How can I format one cell based on the contents of another cell. I would like
to have the color of a row of cells change automatically based on the
contents of one of the cells in the subject row. Example: if A1 reads "YES",
then I want cells A1 through G1 to change color from no color to green. if A1
reads "NO", then I want cells A1 through G1 to change color to red and if A!
is blank, then I want the cells to stay with no color.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Use conditional formatting

Select the cells in the rowS you want to highlight
in the first condition choose formula is and enter
=$A1="Yes"
and format as green
in second
$A1="No" and format as red

If it does not work then go back and make sure that the formula is exactly
like
=$A1="Yes"

$ before A is important...

--