-   -   Conditional formatting in Excel 2003 (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/206509-conditional-formatting-excel-2003-a.html)

Bruce McGinnis

Conditional formatting in Excel 2003

How can I format one cell based on the contents of another cell. I would like
to have the color of a row of cells change automatically based on the
contents of one of the cells in the subject row. Example: if A1 reads "YES",
then I want cells A1 through G1 to change color from no color to green. if A1
reads "NO", then I want cells A1 through G1 to change color to red and if A!
is blank, then I want the cells to stay with no color.

David Biddulph[_2_]

Conditional formatting in Excel 2003

Conditional Formatting/ *Formula Is*/ =$A1="YES"
Set your Green option
Add
Similarly for your Red option
--
David Biddulph

"Bruce McGinnis" <Bruce wrote in message
How can I format one cell based on the contents of another cell. I would
like
to have the color of a row of cells change automatically based on the
contents of one of the cells in the subject row. Example: if A1 reads
"YES",
then I want cells A1 through G1 to change color from no color to green. if
A1
reads "NO", then I want cells A1 through G1 to change color to red and if
A!
is blank, then I want the cells to stay with no color.

Max

Conditional formatting in Excel 2003

How can I format one cell based on the contents of another cell

You control it through the $ sign, ie fix the point to col A (the col ref)

Select cols A to G
(swipe from col A to G, so that A1 is active)

then apply the CF using Formula Is:
Cond1: =$A1="Yes"
Format: Green fill
Cond2: =$A1="No"
Format: Red fill
Click to ok out

--
Max
Singapore
"Bruce McGinnis" wrote:
How can I format one cell based on the contents of another cell. I would like
to have the color of a row of cells change automatically based on the
contents of one of the cells in the subject row. Example: if A1 reads "YES",
then I want cells A1 through G1 to change color from no color to green. if A1
reads "NO", then I want cells A1 through G1 to change color to red and if A!
is blank, then I want the cells to stay with no color.

Sheeloo[_3_]

Conditional formatting in Excel 2003

Use conditional formatting

Select the cells in the rowS you want to highlight
in the first condition choose formula is and enter
=$A1="Yes"
and format as green
in second
$A1="No" and format as red

If it does not work then go back and make sure that the formula is exactly
like
=$A1="Yes"

$ before A is important...

--