Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default trace dependents in named cells in Excel 2007?

I just changed several spreadsheet inputs to "named" cells in order to
understand the formulas better. Once the cell references are changed to
"names", I can no longer audit those cells using the "trace dependents"
auditing feature. Can anyone tell me how to do this, or if its even possible?
Thanks,
JB
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In a quick test now I found that Trace Dependents and Precedents works fine
in Excel 2007 using names in the formulas.

If you can reproduce the problem in a simple example perhaps you could
provide us with the exact steps.

--
Jim
"Joe Burns" wrote in message
|I just changed several spreadsheet inputs to "named" cells in order to
| understand the formulas better. Once the cell references are changed to
| "names", I can no longer audit those cells using the "trace dependents"
| auditing feature. Can anyone tell me how to do this, or if its even
possible?
| Thanks,
| JB

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I have an input that consists of a number. The number is shown in the formula
bar in addtion to showing in the cell. The cell address, say D6, shows in the
open area to the far left on the formula bar where I assigned the name in the
first place. I have previously assigned cell D6 to be named H1L and it shows
up in the Name Manager and Use in Formula sections as H1L. In the Name
Manager, it shows as it should with the absolute cell reference of $D$6
prefixed by the sheet name.

Before I named cell D6 as H1L, I was able to trace dependents from cell D6.
I went through the spreadsheet to all the dependents and substituted H1L
everywhere that D6 was used in a formula. Now when I click on cell D6 and hit
the trace dependents button, I get a message saying the cell has no
dependents which sort of makes sense since its still cell D6 and still has a
number entry even though its been named H1L. Thus my original question. I
must not be assigning names to the cells correctly although everything is
still calculating correctly as far as I can tell.

I'm happy to send you an example but I'm not sure how to send through the
forum.

Thanks for any guidance!
Joe

"Joe Burns" wrote in message
|I just changed several spreadsheet inputs to "named" cells in order to
| understand the formulas better. Once the cell references are changed to
| "names", I can no longer audit those cells using the "trace dependents"
| auditing feature. Can anyone tell me how to do this, or if its even
possible?
| Thanks,
| JB

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I tried to repro the problem from your description but it seems fine. I'd
like to see your example if it's simple. Email it he .

--
Jim