Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Make comparisons to identify new rows/amendments to existing info

Each week I will get a new worksheet from an external source (hopefully in
the same format/layout every time) which contains information relating to
customer visits. The information will extend across to column K and down
through a varying number of rows.

My task each week will be to identify the following:
- any new rows that have been added since the previous document
- any rows whereby the information has changed, i.e. the date of the next
visit might change therefore the existing information will have been amended

Is there any easy way to do this each time? Any help would be appreciated.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Sarah, I do a similar task and we use a pivot table to "compare" the
information from day to day. In our situation, we access payment information
from a customer who publishes payment amounts and the dates they'll be
released, but those values can change from day to day. Each day when we get
the data we append it to the historical data, indicate the date the
information was provided and update the pivot table to include the new data.
We get something like the table below:

Due Date 10/01/08 10/08/08 10/09/08 10/10/08 10/14/08 10/15/08
10/28/08 837 837 837 837 13,861 13,861
10/29/08 15,882 16,300 16,307 16,307 16,307 110,292
10/30/08 11,283 13,787 13,787 13,787 13,787 13,787

The due date column is the "release date" of the payment, the dates on the
columns are the dates each report was run, and the corresponding payment
amounts. If you look at the 10/28 due date, you see that on 10/10 they
indicated they had $837 to release but when we ran the report again 10/14,
they amount they intended to release that day had increased to $13,861.

If you're looking to do something similar (compare day-to-day info) I think
the pivot table could be a good solution. You just need a column that's a
variant (like date) so that you can know if something changed from one date
to the next.

Good luck.