Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Adding time durations

I want to be able to calculate time durations then add them all together

i.e hh:mm:ss 00:04:23 is 263 seconds and 00:05:35 is 335 seconds, the
sum of these is 598 seconds or 00:09:58

Can anyone help as I dont even know where to begin

Many thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

One duration in A1, the other in A2:

=A1+A2

Format Custom as [s] for seconds, [m]:ss for mintues and seconds and
[h]:mm:ss for hours, minutes and seconds

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Foghat" wrote in message
I want to be able to calculate time durations then add them all together

i.e hh:mm:ss 00:04:23 is 263 seconds and 00:05:35 is 335 seconds,
the
sum of these is 598 seconds or 00:09:58

Can anyone help as I dont even know where to begin

Many thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

Times in Excel are numbers and these are fromatted so we can see them as a
time we recognise. So
with the 2 times below in A1 & a2

00:04:23
00:05:35

=Sum(A1:A2) will show 00:09:58

If you want to see that as seconds format as ss

When adding times they will roll over back to zero if the hours 24. To
avoid this format the cell with

[hh]:mm:ss

Mike