Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Enter time with . but display as :

Hi
I would like to enter time into a timesheet using the decimal point instead
of the colon as it makes it easier and quicker to type, however I still want
it to display correctly with the colon.
For example - if I enter 12.35 I would like it to display as 12:35 so it is
literally just changing the . to :
Many thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Another way, with 12.35 in A1, in B1 enter:

=--SUBSTITUTE(A1,".",":") and format B1 as Time.
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200806

"harwookf" wrote:

Hi
I would like to enter time into a timesheet using the decimal point instead
of the colon as it makes it easier and quicker to type, however I still want
it to display correctly with the colon.
For example - if I enter 12.35 I would like it to display as 12:35 so it is
literally just changing the . to :
Many thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you want to do this on a regular basis you would be better off using an
event macro

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/DateTimeEntry.htm

Peo Sjoblom

"harwookf" wrote in message
Hi
I would like to enter time into a timesheet using the decimal point
instead
of the colon as it makes it easier and quicker to type, however I still
want
it to display correctly with the colon.
For example - if I enter 12.35 I would like it to display as 12:35 so it
is
literally just changing the . to :
Many thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I appreciate the fast response and as this is required on a daily basis, this
is the best way I think. However, I am struggling with it.

I use Excel 2007 so not sure if this makes a difference. I changed the
range initially to match where I will be entering the data, but it is not
working. E.g. if I type 135 in a cell, it shows 3240:00 instead of 1:35. The
cell is formatted as [h]:mm.

What am I doing wrong?

"harwookf" wrote in message
Hi
I would like to enter time into a timesheet using the decimal point
instead
of the colon as it makes it easier and quicker to type, however I still
want
it to display correctly with the colon.
For example - if I enter 12.35 I would like it to display as 12:35 so it
is
literally just changing the . to :
Many thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It is sheet event code. I just tested with both 2003 and 2007 and they both
came up the same way as

1:35:00 AM or 01:35 depending on the format you choose

Did you put the code in the sheet (right click the sheet tab and select view
code and paste in the macro there,
then change this part

If Application.Intersect(Target, Range("A1:A10")) Is Nothing Then

to the range you want it to cover

Then close the VBA editor (alt + Q)

save the workbook and start typing

Peo Sjoblom

"harwookf" wrote in message
Hi
I would like to enter time into a timesheet using the decimal point
instead
of the colon as it makes it easier and quicker to type, however I still
want
it to display correctly with the colon.
For example - if I enter 12.35 I would like it to display as 12:35 so
it
is
literally just changing the . to :
Many thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The only thing I didn't do was Alt+Q - I closed and returned to the Workbook
then saved. Just done it again and it now works - thank you.

Is there a way to have it for the full workbook as I have a number of
worksheets (approx. 12) within the workbook.

Many thanks

"harwookf" wrote in message
Hi
I would like to enter time into a timesheet using the decimal point
instead
of the colon as it makes it easier and quicker to type, however I still
want
it to display correctly with the colon.
For example - if I enter 12.35 I would like it to display as 12:35 so
it
is
literally just changing the . to :
Many thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

One last question Peo, I have two times that I need to subtract which may
result in a negative figure. Is there a way to display this correctly.

For example, 7:00 - 37:00 should produce a result of -30:00 but I am just
getting ########.