Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Auto populating excel fields

I'd like to be able to auto-populate a cell by entering a number. For
example, when I enter the E1 into a cell, I'd like the cell to populate with
"Excellent scores". If I enter E2, the cell should populate with "Additional
training required". The list goes on and on. Can someone please let me know
how I can do this? Thank you in advance!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

What you're describing is sort of a "named formula", since you want to
display the text in the same cell you enter the "number code".

If you're willing to type, for example:
=e1_
in a cell to display your text, it can be accomplished.

XL adds the underscore because "E1" is reserved, since it's the name of a
cell.

If you used:
one
two
three
OR
Tom
Dick
Harry
all you'd need to type would be the equal sign ( = ) in front of the "code".

Try this:

Make a datalist, with your "Codes" in say Y1 to Y10,
and your text in Z1 to Z10.

Select Y1 to Z10, and from the Menu Bar,
<Insert <Name <Create

Make sure *only* "Left Column" is checked, then <OK.

Now, go to,
<insert <Name <Define

And see if XL accepted your names as you typed them, or were there any
changes.

In *any* cell, type
=
then any name from the *accepted* name list,
and you'll see the text displayed for that "code".
--
HTH,

RD